 Technic / 5604
Re: IR Controller in 8539 Manas
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.technic.bionicle
Date:
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 09:00:02 GMT

"Hao-yang Wang" <hywang@pobox.com> writes:

The set comes with two IR controllers, as well as two
receivers. Each IR units take 3 AA batteries, so you need 12
batteries in total.

Each IR receiver has two motor outputs. On the controller there are
four buttons, controlling the forward and the reverse motion of the
two motors.

Does this mean that the set actually comes with a total of four (4)
external motor units?  Or does each IR-controller comprise two built
in motors each?

It's not obvious to me if "motor output" above means an electronic
socket to which a motor can be connected, or a cross axle hole which
is driven by an internal motor.  I'm guessing the latter, otherwise
the price of the set would probably have been too steep.

And another question: Are the motor outputs (assuming they are
internal motors) placed so that it is easy to build something around
the unit?  I.e., is it easy to use the motor outputs in custom MOCs?
I'm curious to the usefulness of the IR units.

Fredrik