 Technic / 5601
Re: IR Controller in 8539 Manas
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.technic.bionicle
Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 21:51:25 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Hao-yang Wang writes:
I finished building the two crabs yesterday. I'd really like to build the
alternative big Rahi too, but unfortunately the kid would not allow me to
take apart the crabs.

As the result, I can only base my answers to your questions by looking at
the instructions. Anybody who has already seen the real thing working,
please correct my mistakes. (And yes, you get the instructions for both the
crabs and the big alternative Rahi.)

You are right: The bottom motors move the Rahi, while the top ones move the
arms. The arms punch out, but I am not sure whether the claws will actually
grab things. (The claws are not connected to the motors, but the rubber
bands on the claws may serve as some spring-loaded mechanism.)

I finished the big Rahi last night. The moving mechanism and the arms are
essentially the same as the crabs'. The claw does get equipped with a
spring-loaded mechanism, so when the "palm" touches something, the claw
snaps together. The mechanism is ingeniously simple, but a bit too
sensitive: It sometimes gets triggered while the arms are waving in the
empty air.

The rubber band on the head-neck does look like some spring-loading
mechanism, which nods the head. I think the opponent is supposed to hit the
head of the Rahi, to get the masks.

When you hit the head, it gets knocked down, exposing its masks for the
opponent to grab.

The head looks much cooler in person than in pictures. (Somehow in all the
ads I have seen, the head is always pictured on the knocked-down position.)
It looks like a saber-tooth tiger. However, with the human-like arms and
claws, maybe Lego is trying to do a bear.

The big Rahi is not very stable. It tends to tip forward.

Compared with the crabs, this big Rahi looks much cooler, and has an
ingenious claw mechanism, while I feel the crabs get better playability.

Cheers,
Hao-yang Wang