 Technic / 5594
Re: IR Controller in 8539 Manas
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.technic.bionicle
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 20:07:55 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Christian Gemünden writes:
Too bad I don't have the set myslef yet. I am excited, Hao-yang, what is the
combined Manas model about to do and do you need both controllers to command
it? Are the building instructions included as for all the other Rahi sets?

Oh, yes, I am talking about this alternate Rahi, image found at:

http://www.brickmaster.de/images/8539-alt.jpg

It seems like the bottom motors are there to move and navigate and the upper
two must have some kind of grab function and what's that rubber-band near
the yellow Komau massks doing (it's a "spring-loaded" rubberband, right?).
The world needs to know...

I finished building the two crabs yesterday. I'd really like to build the
alternative big Rahi too, but unfortunately the kid would not allow me to
take apart the crabs.

As the result, I can only base my answers to your questions by looking at
the instructions. Anybody who has already seen the real thing working,
please correct my mistakes. (And yes, you get the instructions for both the
crabs and the big alternative Rahi.)

You are right: The bottom motors move the Rahi, while the top ones move the
arms. The arms punch out, but I am not sure whether the claws will actually
grab things. (The claws are not connected to the motors, but the rubber
bands on the claws may serve as some spring-loaded mechanism.)

The rubber band on the head-neck does look like some spring-loading
mechanism, which nods the head. I think the opponent is supposed to hit the
head of the Rahi, to get the masks.

By turning the dial on the handheld controller to switch the channel, you
can control the Rahi's arms and tank treads separately, or you can use both
controllers to control all the four functions at the same time. Of course
you can also set the two receivers to the same channel (or set the
controller to broadcast to all the channels).

There are only three channels, which sets the upper limit to the number of
receivers that can function independently at the same time.

THANKS!

Bye, Christian --- xTIAN.oO
Lugnet Member #479 -- The World is full of AFOLs !
mail: xtian@brickmaster.de web: www.brickmaster.de

Now back to the crabs: The two crabs are almost identical in design. Like
the big Rahi, the crab's movement is controlled by its two tank treads. The
two claws of the crab are connected to the same motors as the tank treads,
which make the claws punch repetitively.

In the middle, there is a spring-loaded mechanism which, when being hit,
will lift the crab off the ground, thus disables the crab's movement.

On the pictures, it shows the two crabs trying to knock down each others'
masks. This strikes me as a bit strange, for I thought the two crabs are
fighting on the same side, but again I am not familiar with the story line
of Bionicle. (8539 is my first Bionicle set.)

Cheers,
Hao-yang Wang