 Technic / 4613
Re: LSD/Auto-Locking Differential Gears
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 00:59:49 GMT

Curious, what do MLD and ALD mean?
Manual Locking differential and Automatic locking differential I presume.

Hehe..yeah, that's what those meant (they were mentioned in the first post).
I wrote up that post at around 4:30 in the morning and was too tired to
write out the full names so I just abbreviated them. :-)

BTW I took some quick pics of my clutch-pack LSD (installed in my
McLaren F1).
Two views of the engine bay are here (I removed the spoiler and opened
the hatch):
http://www.kungstorget.nu/designs/images/lmclaren/lsd1.jpg
http://www.kungstorget.nu/designs/images/lmclaren/lsd2.jpg

I have built both LSD and manual locking diff.
Both were simple AND worked very well, BUT they are not realistic; I mean
that they do not work the way the real LSD and locking diff. work. I'm still
working on that...

Great designs there! I suppose the slip gear design could be used when more
friction is required (for dedicated off-road vehicles) while the rubber
belt-based one would be preferred for light off-road machines. I need to try
building those sometime...

My manual locking differential looks very similar to yours and this type
seem to work well for Lego models. One setting ues the differential while
the other uses two standard gears and skips the differential altogether.
Although you're right; this design does not exactly match the type used in
real vehicles. But it works all the same, so who cares... :-)

One way to incorporate a realistic clutch plate based LSD into a technic
creation might be to line up several rubber pieces (such as small wheels) on
the sides of the differential itself, which would make it more realistic but
probably less effective. (this is where the fact that most Lego elements are
made of the same material becomes a limitation)

I can't really think of a way to do an automatic locking differential
though. Even if it is possible, the mechanism will probably take up a
significant amoutn of space due to its complex nature.

One of my creations is a HEMTT truck, which incorpotates tandem axles; one
is LSD and the other is locking diff.
See http://olivierg.50megs.com/hemtt/hemtt.htm for the project.
See http://olivierg.50megs.com/hemtt/pic2.htm for a close-up pic of the
layout.

This model looks amazing...I just saw it for the first time...

-Gaurav Thakur, raving madman
Can be reached at cp5670@supermail.com
http://cp5670.50megs.com/TC