 Technic / 4596
Re: LSD/Auto-Locking Differential Gears
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 09:14:43 GMT

Steven Lane wrote:

BTW I took some quick pics of my clutch-pack LSD (installed in my
McLaren F1).

Does it work?

It works extremely well actually.  It is easy to push the car when it is
going straight, but as you turn the steering wheel, you can feel the
gradual tug of the LSD working as the car goes into a tighter turn.  On
grippy surfaces like linolium or concrete, if the car is turning in its
tightest circle, you can see the inner wheel clawing for traction--the
inner wheel slips a little on the ground, but is still able to have a
different speed of rotation than the outer wheel.

From personal experience, if this LSD were in a real car, the car would
be undriveable at higher speeds in turns--there would be more oversteer
than one could control.

//Henry Chea
                          hchea@kungstorget.nu
            *S*  Göteborg, jaja, jag behöver inget mer!  *S*
                       http://www.kungstorget.nu