 Technic / 4592
Re: LSD/Auto-Locking Differential Gears
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 01:19:25 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Henry Chea writes:
I have managed to make a LSD using the white clutch gear (clutch-pack
type of LSD).  Sorry, no pics yet!

Cool...I think I have a vague idea of how one can be made using that slip
gear; let me know if you ever happen to get some photographs of the design...

My original plan was to make a torsen type LSD, but after learning how
one works, I have concluded that it's impossible to do with lego parts.
Torsens require helical gears of the proper angle, plus they have to be
made of materials with the correct coefficients of friction...  Lego has
a limitation afterall!

Yeah I noticed that too...since all the Lego pieces (or almost all) are made
using the same plastic mold, it probably won't be that simple...

The MLD isn't too hard to build either, although I haven't had any luck with
an ALD yet. Although many sources seem to say that the MLD is probably the
best overall for both off-road and paved terrain...only reason it isn't used
much in real life is the cost. I'll probably just stick to this thing in my
creations...

-Gaurav Thakur, raving madman
Can be reached at cp5670@supermail.com
http://cp5670.50megs.com/TC/