 Technic / 4611
Re: LSD/Auto-Locking Differential Gears
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 21:15:13 GMT

Steven Lane wrote:

Shouldn't that be understeer? If the inner wheel is provideing a force,
surely that would cause the nose of the car to veer outwards rather than
inwards.

In the case of a RWD car with a *stiff* LSD in the rear, the inner wheel
is always slipping a little bit whether on the throttle or brakes or
nothing..  Considering that the highest amount of grip is typically at a
15% slip angle, it is not good for the tyres to already be slipping
under non-agressive loads..  Basically a stiff LSD in the rear makes it
easier for the car to break traction on both rear tyres at the same
time, whether on the throttle or the brakes..  Not good while in a turn!

The ideal rear LSD would be strong enough to limit inner tyre spin, but
not so much that the inner wheel causes the outer wheel to break
traction as well.  I don't know if I'm making any sense..

//Henry Chea
                          hchea@kungstorget.nu
            *S*  Göteborg, jaja, jag behöver inget mer!  *S*
                       http://www.kungstorget.nu