 Space / 39404
Re: New Faction: The Bonktrons are coming.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 10 Sep 2005 11:34:51 GMT

In lugnet.space, Derek Curtis wrote:

   Absolutely Brilliant Work Al! I found it hilarious. Your whole new theme has captivated the hearts and minds of the space (SPACE!) community! To subtantiate this claim, I decided to build a Bonktron© ship of my own. Bare in mind that my skills in the space (SPACE!) genre are limited to my building a Galaxy Explorer when they were initially released, and thats about it.

So with that, I give you:

The Millenium Phallus

Well, Derek, I’m certainly flattered that you’ve chosen to burst onto the .space scene with a model inspired by my silly little theme. Might’ve been more appropriate to start a new thread, but what the hey.

I’m also impressed at the speed with which this was built, photographed and posted a mere eight hours or so after mine.(1)

As for the ship itself, well it certainly lives up to it’s name :)

I admire your determinedly studs up construction style - a courageous move in these SNOT dominated times, and the lions heads, presumably signifying virility or something, are a nice touch.

The technical features such as the fbre optics and pneumatics also make my little worm gear thing seem flacid and unimpressive in comparison.

However, and I appreciate you’re accustomed to a more sculptural style, I still think it needs a bit of work. The wings are, I feel, a bit extraneous, or at least too long. The landing gear, particularly the front one, needs some serious spacifying, and the cockpits, from what I can see, could use a bit more detailing, or at least pilots. Cover some studs, an extra detailing colour wouldn’t go astray (note how i used grey and black on mine for reference), and a bit of greebling, and you’re away. (btw greebling is still one of the things I struggle with most - it’s tricky to make it look convincingly technological and not just a random arrangement of parts. Studying exposed machinery helps get an eye for it I find)

But, that said, for a .space debut, it’s a promising start. You certainly did a better job of building a spaceship than I’d ever do building a Tower of Terror or something.

Welcome to .space, and remember: develope.

Allister

(1) alright, before the conspiracy theorists start getting excited, I’ve had mine built for a couple of weeks now, and I did show it to a few friends, including Derek, for feedback before showing it to the community at large. The idea of the Bonktron(2) theme seemed to strike a cord with them, so don’t be surprised if we see a few more ship in the theme. I myself have a microscale capship in progress, so stay tuned.

(2) and, credit where it’s due, it was Janey Red Brick that first coined that name. I was originally going to create the Sillytrons, which were in turn inspired by Michael Dallaston’s Nicetrons. I still might. Bonktrons seemed to be a richer field for humour though, and the rest, as they say, is history.