 Space / 39371
Re: New Faction: The Bonktrons are coming.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 8 Sep 2005 15:03:53 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.space, Nathan Proudlove wrote:
   I am loathe to even reply to this post as I am almost sure that Allister is deliberately trying to stir up controversy. I will be the first to say that it is in poor taste though. Way to go for exercising your right to free speech.

Still wondering what contest Rosco was referring to when I called Richie on his previous trolling, starting to suspect a pattern, and wondering as to why the frequency of these trolls and mocks seems to be increasing, I decided to go look around for myself. I held my nose and did a little digging around on JLUG. (it took about 5 clicks so it wasn’t too bad).

It seems there was a contest after all. It looks like you are saying that Allister (as the author of this post ) is trying to deliberately stir up controversy on LUGNET. That is, the same guy that subsequently authored this singularly unhelpful post (mocking the very existence of the contest that he created) is perhaps actually not acting here on LUGNET with the best of motives?

If that’s what you’re saying I would have to agree that it certainly does have that appearance, doesn’t it?

One has to wonder if that mysterious contest is still actually (secretly??) running or not (whether these “entries” are valid under the rules or not seems irrelevant)... or if not, why there seems to be such an upswing in mocking, pastiches, controversial posts cloaked in claimed “humor”, and so forth.

Why is this a good thing for the community, or for LUGNET specifically? Perhaps it isn’t. Perhaps the people engaging in this trolling and mocking don’t actually have the best interests of LUGNET at heart, although it’s hard to tell for sure since many of them apparently (based on their statements in things like their LUGNET member pages) pride themselves on ambiguity.

I don’t get it... maybe Allister and Richie haven’t been trolling, it’s hard to say for sure, but in general the best thing to do with trolls, once it’s clear what is going on, is ignore them.

I expect this post of mine will be mock fodder too...

Whatever. Mock away.