 Space / 38881
Re: Space! at BrickFest 2005
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Wed, 1 Jun 2005 17:54:25 GMT

In lugnet.space, Adam Skelding wrote:

   First off, we have the 3rd floor lobby for the Moonbase, as well as many of the rooms we had last year. We are going to make the Moonbase thinner and longer, so that modules aren’t buried on the inside, also this will give us a chance to do some interesting creative details. This also means we will need more endcaps.

With the moonbase longer and thinner, spread out in the lobby, it should look really great. A suggestion though, to help avoid the “crowding” of last year, why not add more blank plates, and more simple corridors. Generally (but not always) when somebody builds on a single 48x48 baseplate, they tend to build upwards very quickly. This can block out the modules that are behind one another.

Along with the thinness, we are also going to arrange modules so that tall ones are behind the short ones. The display is going to be ~3 modules wide, so it would work like Tall-Medium-Short. This should give equal viewing access to all of the modules.

Also, SciBrick has extra 48x48 baseplates that will be at BrickFest to help, to help people who don’t have baseplates of their own (they are kinda expensive) and to fill in gaps where needed.

   I know simple corridor modules aren’t as fun to build or show off the full extent of ones creative abilities, but spreading out the whole display will make everyones modules look better. And the blank baseplates will provide more room for roaming space vehicles.

I, if I have the time, am going to be building basic connection corridors. I don’t have the space for a full-on module, so I figure this will help out as best as possible.

An idea I have is to build a shipyard for fighters and shuttles to land. It would be a plain baseplate with tiles and lights on it, and I would provide refueling and maintainence crews. I think this will add to the life of the moonbase and make for a more interesting/dynamic display. It will also give some ‘blank space’ between modules that you are describing.

Thanks for the ideas!

-Lenny