 Space / 37689
Re: Explorovore
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 1 Jan 2005 16:19:25 GMT

In lugnet.space, James Wilson wrote:
That's great!  The whole concept is imaginative and original.  I really like the
"ovipositor" apparatus.  But what makes the concept really work is the lighting
- the stark, angular effect screams "space!"  Well done, you sicko!

James Wilson
Dallas, TX

Thanks. The word "ovipositor" also popped into my head when I was taking the
pictures. I was thinking that it would require an elaborate apparatus like a
space shuttle manipulator arm to place an egg in zero g. It moves very slowly
and gently releases the egg when it is sure it has adhered to the surface. The
Explorovore only lays one egg and if it shot it like a projectile, it might not
adhere. Evolution favors successful reproductive mechanisms.

(The zero g thing is also why I gave the creature big grappling pincer arms. It
wouldn't be able to bite and tear at its prey without being firmly attached.)