 Space / 37656
37655  |  37657
Subject:
Explorovore
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 2004 11:57:54 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

On Christmas I reconstructed a Galaxy Explorer from my 25 year old Lego
collection and had some fun with it.
------------------------------------

In the Classic Space era, thousands of Galaxy Explorer ships were produced and
dispatched into the far reaches of space. This was not without consequences...

Space is an ecosystem, with its own checks and balances.

It had long been theorized that non-intelligent space inhabiting animals might
exist, feeding on gas clouds, asteroids, comets, perhaps even other such animals
lower on the food chain. In the Classic Space era, another food source increased
in abundance, rich in complex organic compounds, refined metals and radioactive
elements, a candy-like treat.

Many Galaxy Explorers were lost on their missions, in fact, an alarming number
of them, information which has been suppressed for political reasons. Space
development is big business.

Recent losses of ships in the spacelanes that have been attributed to piracy may
indeed have been caused something else entirely. Consider the data: grey
unmarked, unregistered ships feigning distress and then attacking, leaving their
victims thoroughly gutted, if any remains are found at all...

------------------------------------

<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=110082>

The Explorovore drifts inert until it detects the emissions of a radar scan. Its
body is a metal shell grown in the shape of its prey, roughly matching its radar
and visual signature. Aroused from a hibernation state, it extends its lure, a
protrusion evolved to mimic an astronaut, which bobs and waves as if in
distress.

When the prey is close enough, the Explorovore unfolds its grappling arms and
opens its maw. A burst of plasma from its belly thrusters gives it a sudden
acceleration and it crashes into the hapless ship.

Once the prey is subdued, the feeding begins. Depending on the duration of its
prior hibernation, the Explorovore will either consume the ship entirely, or
nibble merely enough to sustain itself, preserving the rest for another purpose.

Reproduction is important for all animals. The Explorovore deposits an egg on
the partially eaten carcass. Once hatched, the newborn will consume the ship
from the inside out and adopt its shape, continuing the cycle of life.

One can only wonder what might happen if an Explorovore egg hatched in a
battleship, space station or moonbase module. Beware all things grey and
featureless. Beware the red spaceman. Beware.