 Robotics / RCX / *5014 (-20)
Re: problems with legos on notebook
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Sat, 18 Aug 2001 03:34:58 GMT

Hi Michael,

Try the --slow option on firmdl3. This forces it to use the slow download
speed, and may help. Also, use --debug to display more debugging info. This may
help someone here to work out what the problem is.

I'm not sure what the equivalent options are in dll (or even if they exist!)

Regards

ROSCO

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Michael Wisse writes:
Hallo Ross!

This is just the problem, I can not download programs or the legos.srec.
Both, firmdl3 and dll give the message "bad ir link".

I have an other linux computer on which (with a built in com port) dll
and firmdl3 work correctly.

I compared the setserial output for ttyS0 on both computers. Setserial
on the notebook  pcmcia card recognized a UART 16950/954, setserial on
the other computer a 16550A. This was the only difference.

I could not find any error messages or warnings relating to ttyS0.

Regards.

Michael

Ross Crawford schrieb:

Michael,

I may not be much help as I only use my laptop for downloading programs, not
development, and my serial port is built-in.

Is there any message when it fails to connect, or not?
Does it fail immediately, or timeout after a wait?
Do firmdl3 & dll fail the same way, or different symptoms?

Try looking in /var/log/messages for any info. Also try logging kernel debug
messages using syslog - a line like:

kern.debug      /var/log/kernel.debug

in syslog.conf may give more info (don't forget to killall -HUP syslogd!)

Post the results here, and someone may be able to pick the problem.

HTH

ROSCO

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Michael Wisse writes:
Hallo!

Has anybody experiences with legos on notebooks?

I want to use legos under linux on a notebook computer. I use a serial
pcmcia card from socket communications. The serial port is configured as
ttyS0 (irq 4 and io-adr. 0x03f8 are configured correct by pcmcia
manager).
The infrared tower is found by firmdl3 or dll, but it does not get a
connection to
the rcx.
(I have the same problems with nqc.)

The basic settings for this serial port seem to be o.k. under linux, I
can control an external modem with this port and connect to an isp.

Only with the legos tools (and nqc) it does not work. Perhaps there are
some special settings to do under linux with setserial for this port?

Thanks for advice and best regards.

Michael Wisse

Hochschule Harz
D-38855 Wernigerode

Re: problems with nqc under linux
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Sat, 18 Aug 2001 00:35:08 GMT

It looks like the serial port just isn't getting the right settings
(baud, parity, etc).  I'm not sure how to go about diagnosing/fixing
it...NQC makes some rather straightforward POSIX calls to configure the
serial port.  If it is not working, then it generally comes down to a
kernel/driver issue.

Do you have some sort of terminal program available on both computers?
If so, first start with 9600 baud, 8 data, 1 stop, no parity.  Make sure
you can send data back and forth.  Then switch to 2400 baud and try
again.  Then turn on odd parity.

Dave

In article <3B7CF025.BA58150B@hs-harz.de>, Michael Wisse
<mwisse@hs-harz.de> wrote:

Hallo Dave!

Thanks for your respond.
I've done your suggestion. I connected two linux computers with a
nullmodem cable.
On the other computer nqc is working correctly, but it has installed an
older version of nqc 2.0.2 (on my notebook runs nqc 2.2., I hope, this
is no problem).

This is the output from my notebook (where nqc does not work correctly).
Here I started nqc fist on the notebook, then on the other computer:

spock:/var/log # nqc -v -raw 10
Tx: 55 ff 00 10 ef 10 ef
Rx: 78 0f 78 ff fc 00 00 00 f8 f8 78 00 c0 00 f8 f8 f8 78 0f 78 ff fc 00
00 00 f8 f8 78 00 c0 00 f8 f8 f8
Tx: 55 ff 00 10 ef 10 ef
Rx:
Problem talking to IR device

Here I started nqc fist on the other computer, then on my notebook:

spock:/var/log # nqc -v -raw 10
Tx: 55 ff 00 10 ef 10 ef
Rx: 78 0f 78 ff fc 00 00 00 f8 f8 78 00 c0 00 f8 f8 f8
Tx: 55 ff 00 10 ef 10 ef
Rx:
Problem talking to IR device

The other computer mostly did not receive anything from the notebook.
Sometimes on the first left rx field appeared a 72, nothing else.

--
reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com

Re: problems with legos on notebook
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 11:01:36 GMT

Ross Crawford schrieb:

[...]

Dipl.Ing. Michael Wisse

Hochschule Harz
Fachbereich Automatisierung und Informatik
Friedrichstraße 57-59
D-38855 Wernigerode

Telefon: +49(0)3943/659-323
Fax:     +49(0)3943/659-399

Re: problems with nqc under linux
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 10:21:25 GMT

[...]

Re: ROBOLAB problem
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab
Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 20:44:10 GMT

Yes, that is an annoying misfeature of Robolab 2.0.  I believe it is fixed
in RoboLab 2.5
(due out Real Soon Now) where there is now an icon that resets before
waiting and one
that doesn't.

In the meantime, you can code it yourself:

                                      <= - Jump X
Land X -> If rotations
                                       ------------------Continue past
wait...

-Peter

"koldo" <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote in message

Hello

I have a question about rotation sensor and Robolab. In order to control
two motions (X and Y) I used two rotation sensors in my project.

When I programmed in NQC I hadn't any problem, but when I tried translating
the program into Robolab I found a problem: I couldn't use absolute
coordinates because if I used "Wait for rotation" the rotation sensor value
was reset to 0. Consequently, RCX "can't remember" the actual position, and
I have to use relative coordinates.

The program is in http://www.euskalnet.net/kolaskoaga/robol.htm

I would know if I can use absolute values of rotation in order to control
the motions without variables.

Koldo

***
http://www.donospat.net/2000/                 proyecto de tecnología y
robótica
http://www.euskalnet.net/kolaskoaga/      página personal (LEGO)
*****

--
MIME ATTACHMENTS DISCARDED:

1.  Content-Type: text/html;
    charset=so-8859-1"

Subject:
ROM of RCX 2.0?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 18:39:13 GMT

Hi,

has anybody taken a look at the ROM of the RCX 2.0?
Are there any significant changes?
I'm looking in particular for changes in addresses of routines
or data areas that could lead to interoperability problems.

Jürgen

--
Jürgen Stuber <stuber@loria.fr>
http://www.loria.fr/~stuber/

Re: problems with legos on notebook
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 11:34:17 GMT

[...]

Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Wed, 15 Aug 2001 22:07:29 GMT

Looks like the data is getting garbled.

One guess would be that the port (under Linux) isn't handling odd parity
with 8 data bits correctly.  Is there any way you could connect this to
another computer using a null modem?  Preferably, use another machine/OS
that can reliably communicate with the RCX.  Let's say machine A is your
current one, and B is the second one...

1) type 'nqc -v -raw 10' on B, but don't press <return>
2) type 'nqc -v -raw 10' <return> on A
3) press <return> on B

(the idea is to have B's nqc command run right after A's starts
running).  Do the same test but with starting B just before A.  e-mail
me the log (or post them here) and I'll try to figure out what is wrong.

Dave Baum

Make sure to

In article <3B7A7177.503CF1A5@hs-harz.de>, Michael Wisse
<mwisse@hs-harz.de> wrote:

Hallo!

Has anybody experiences with nqc for linux on notebooks?

I want to use nqc under linux on a notebook computer. I use a serial
pcmcia card from socket communications. The serial port is configured as
ttyS0 (irq 4 and io-adr. 0x03f8 are configured correct by pcmcia
manager).
The infrared tower is found by nqc, but it does not get a connection to
the rcx.

The batteries of rcx and tower are ok, if I use nqc for win32 under
WINDOWS 2000 over this pcmcia serial port, nqc has no problems to find
the rcx.

The basic settings for this serial port seem to be o.k. under linux, I
can control an external modem with this port and connect to an isp.

Only with nqc it does not work. Perhaps there are some special settings
to do under linux with setserial for this port?

Here is the output from nqc under linux (Dave adviced to add this):

micha@spock:~ > nqc -v -raw 10
Tx: 55 ff 00 10 ef 10 ef
Rx: 00 ff 00 00 07 80 f7 ff
Tx: 55 ff 00 10 ef 10 ef
Rx: 00 ff 00 00 07 80 f7
Tx: 55 ff 00 10 ef 10 ef
Rx: 00 fe 00 00 07 80 e6
Tx: 55 ff 00 10 ef 10 ef
Rx: 00 ff 00 00 07 80 e6
Tx: 55 ff 00 10 ef 10 ef
Rx: 00 ff 00 00 07 80 f7
Tx: 55 ff 00 18 e7 18 e7
Rx: 00 ff 00 18 c6 10 c6
Tx: 55 ff 00 18 e7 18 e7
Rx: 00 ff 00 18 c6 10 c6
Tx: 55 ff 00 18 e7 18 e7
Rx: 00 ff 00 18 c6 10 c6
Tx: 55 ff 00 18 e7 18 e7
Rx: 00 ff 00 18 c6 10 c6
Tx: 55 ff 00 18 e7 18 e7
Rx: 00 ff 00 18 c6 10 c6
No reply from RCX
micha@spock:~ >

Thanks for advice and best regards.

Michael Wisse
Hochschule Harz
Fachbereich Automatisierung und Informatik
Friedrichstraße 57-59
D-38855 Wernigerode

--
reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com

Subject:
problems with legos on notebook
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Wed, 15 Aug 2001 13:11:39 GMT

[...]

Subject:
problems with nqc under linux
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Wed, 15 Aug 2001 12:56:23 GMT

[...]

Re: ir communication
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 08:40:58 GMT

Johan de Wit wrote:

Yes there is. It is LNP it is availiable for windows or linux. I am
just fiddling with the windows version see:
http://www.geocities.com/winlnp/

Thanks, now i have found that stuff for Linux too. Works great!

Chris
--
Chris Benndorf
chrisb@ganzfix.de

Re: transfer data failed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 12:18:41 GMT

yes I did ... :-(

manuel
thanks for the tips, but nothing helps. I tried 0.2.5, I tried the far
and near mode, I changed the lighting conditions -> nothing helped. But I
don't think that I fired up my Brick/Tower because the original Lego
Software under Windows works, even the RcxCC with nqc works ok.

But I will continue trying ...

Did you try using the slow mode option ("-s" for firmdl3) as was
suggested?

Subject:
not strictly legOS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 01:53:42 GMT

hi all, im doing a research project over here and in the process i have set
up lnpd and now have continous
communication between my robot and the PC. Now then here is the deal, there
is a teoretical posibility that i will
get more inputs from my sensors than i manage to send out with lnpd. The
sensor inputs are stored in a ring buffer
and i have constructed various functions to deal with buffer overflow and
possible loss of connection, and a few other
unpredictable "happenings". so what i was wondering, does anyone here have
experience with this sort of programming
(remote controlling in an unstable enviroment) and if so, do you have any
books you recomend ?
i have a nice collection of information on this already, but id really like
to hear what you guys have to say

regards
kenneth johansen
kennethj@stud.cs.uit.no

Re: WINLNP QUESTIONS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 19:44:12 GMT

I did some more digging. When I look into the reg I do not find the reg keys
as mentioned on the http://www.geocities.com/winlnp/ page. I dig in the code
and set the com port by hand (directly to com1) and now I have the green
ligth on the IR tower.

However still no messages to the rcx

And idea's ....  anyone?

Johan de Wit

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Johan de Wit writes:
Dear all,

I have some troubles setting up WinLNP. I am new to RCX (2 months) and legOS
(1 month) and have not much experience with VC6. I want to set up a line of
communication between PC and RCX.

I downloaded everything from http://www.geocities.com/winlnp/ and I managed
to get the source compiled without errors. Now I have a file winLNP.exe and
an example application in VB. I did apply the example provided on the page
mentioned above in the RCX. What should happen? I start winLNP and it starts
without erros. I see it in the taskmanager. But whatever I try with the VB
application RCX does not respond. I also do not see the IR tower become
awake. Furthermore I do not get the registry keys (mentioned on the above
page) in my reg. So i am unable to check com port seting etc.

Any hints?

I use W2000 on a P4 1/7Ghz machine.

I did get LNP working however with the sources of petrovic at
(www.idi.ntnu.no/~petrovic/ir/) many thanks, but i would like to use the
"real thing"

Johan de Wit

Subject:
(MS)2 Expander Web Site Updated
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 18:59:29 GMT

I've updated my website with some changes to the building instructions
for the (MS)2 Expander that might make it easier to build.

http://www.akasa.bc.ca/tfm/lego_ms2.html

Dean
--
Dean Husby
LUGNET Member #320

Re: ir communication
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 18:11:52 GMT

Yes there is. It is LNP it is availiable for windows or linux. I am just
fiddling with the windows version see: http://www.geocities.com/winlnp/

However I did not get it working just fine see also my post just before you

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Chris Benndorf writes:
Hi,

i am just doing my first steps with legOS and i want to send some
data back to the PC. Is there any kind of software for the PC to read
that data and save or display it?

TIA
Chris

Subject:
ir communication
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 07:14:42 GMT

Hi,

i am just doing my first steps with legOS and i want to send some
data back to the PC. Is there any kind of software for the PC to read
that data and save or display it?

TIA
Chris
--
Chris Benndorf
chrisb@ganzfix.de
http://www.ganzfix.de
Phone: +49 6356 989333

Subject:
WINLNP QUESTIONS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 17:34:09 GMT

[...]

Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 16:51:53 GMT

Manuel Weindorf wrote:

Hi,
thanks for the tips, but nothing helps. I tried 0.2.5, I tried the far and
near mode, I changed the lighting conditions -> nothing helped. But I don't
think that I fired up my Brick/Tower because the original Lego Software
under Windows works, even the RcxCC with nqc works ok.

But I will continue trying ...

Manuel

One other thing, did you erase the firmware from the RCX before trying
to load legOS?

regards

Frank Caggiano "The best education for the best
caggiano@crystal-objects.com is the best education for all."
http://www.crystal-objects.com/    Robert M. Hutchins

Logo Users Ring
http://www.crystal-objects.com/logo/logoring.html

Re: transfer data failed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 15:54:58 GMT

Manuel Weindorf wrote:

Hi,
thanks for the tips, but nothing helps. I tried 0.2.5, I tried the far and
near mode, I changed the lighting conditions -> nothing helped. But I don't
think that I fired up my Brick/Tower because the original Lego Software
under Windows works, even the RcxCC with nqc works ok.

But I will continue trying ...

Manuel

Did you try slow?
--
Frank Caggiano "The best education for the best
caggiano@crystal-objects.com is the best education for all."
http://www.crystal-objects.com/    Robert M. Hutchins

Logo Users Ring
http://www.crystal-objects.com/logo/logoring.html