 Robotics / 25400
Re: new Mindstorms servos?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 20 Jan 2006 18:22:58 GMT

On Fri, January 20, 2006 11:25 am, danny staple wrote:
BUT!  The new sensor and motor connections are pretty cool, but darn it!
Still only three motors!  The sensors can probably be multiplexed for lots
more inputs, so that is no big deal.

I thought that straight away too. There has be much mention of hoping
for more motor and sensor ports. I can understand trying to get that
many H-Bridges in the box may be awkward, although with the digital
motor protocol and "intelligent servos" I would expect all of that to
be onboard the motors. There is only so much room for connectors too,

(as you may have seen in the WIRED story) I can not possibility convey to you how
much we wanted more motor ports.  And we told them.  Really.

I mean, really, we did.

We told them so often, I think we started to annoy them.

Here's the problem.  LEGO simply has to comply to a VERY high standard.  That's what
made the product we all love.  We don't always agree with their decisions, but you
have to agree they don't do anything "just good enough".  This is no different.

For most people, it would be "good enough" to use 6 AA batteries to power 4 motors.

LEGO is not most people.  They know what people want, but they also know what their
toy will support.

Now, it will be up to us to figure out how to best use what we have.

Steve