 Robotics / 24994
Re: new Mindstorms servos?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 2006 03:18:52 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, steve <sjbaker1@airmail.net> wrote:

The problem with gearing down motors in order to exchange
RPM for torque is that if you actually NEED RPM rather than
torque then you have to gear them back up again.

   And the problem with not gearing down the motors is that for anyhting
requiring more than the motors "native" torque, you have to gear them down with
those inefficient plastic gears.

On the face of it, therefore it ought not to matter whether
you provide a geared-down motor or leave the motor operating
at it's raw RPM because whatever you do, half of the people
will have to add a gear train in order to get the motor to
do what they want.

   That assumes that all possible torque/speed combinations are equally likely.
Far more common is that there are reasonable ranges for torque/speeds that the
end users often try to derive. For me, that's more commonly gearing slower than
gearing faster. That's not saying I don't gear for faster output sometimes - I
certainly do. But far more commonly I gear for a slower speed even with the
standard gear motors (and certainly for the old "standard" motor I have).

However, in a system like Lego where you can't possibly
predict how the motor will be used in practice...

   Predict, no. But you can play the odds. And most people, *especially* most of
the target audience for something like Mindstorms, use the motors first and
foremost to drive wheels on a mobile platform - they build moving robots. And
for that, I usually have to gear for a slower speed using the gear motors,
either for control issues or pushing power (sumo, hill climbing, moving over
carpet, etc.). I suspect LEGO is trying to drive the motor towards the most
commonly used torque/speed combo for the core user here.

So if I had to choose just one style of motor, I'd prefer
one with no gearing at all to one that has been pre-geared
down for torque.

   You prefer the old-style 9V over the Mindstorms gear motors?

For that reason (and others), I predict that the NXT motors
will be less useful than the RCX style motors.

   My biggest worry is the size and how to attach them firmly. But that could be
because I'm not an expert on studless construction. Buti'm willing to learn :-).

--
Brian Davis