 Robotics / 24989
Re: new Mindstorms servos?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 2006 01:56:42 GMT

The problem with gearing down motors in order to exchange
RPM for torque is that if you actually NEED RPM rather than
torque then you have to gear them back up again.  If you have
a high RPM motor to start with, you have to gear it down in
order to get high torque/low speed.

On the face of it, therefore it ought not to matter whether
you provide a geared-down motor or leave the motor operating
at it's raw RPM because whatever you do, half of the people
will have to add a gear train in order to get the motor to
do what they want.

However, in a system like Lego where you can't possibly
predict how the motor will be used in practice, it is better
(IMHO) to leave the motor at it's 'natural' RPM and NOT to
gear it down inside the motor housing.  The reason for that
is that you can gear it down yourself if you need low RPM/high
torque.  But if you force people into using a geared down motor
when they need high RPM, then those people end up with a bulky
and energy-consuming *DOUBLE* gear train (the motor is first
geared down inside it's housing - and then geared up again by
the end user) - which is unnecessarily inefficient.

So if I had to choose just one style of motor, I'd prefer
one with no gearing at all to one that has been pre-geared
down for torque.

For that reason (and others), I predict that the NXT motors
will be less useful than the RCX style motors.