 Robotics / 24929
Re: new Mindstorms servos?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 7 Jan 2006 23:31:12 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Dean Earley wrote:
Another insteresting detail on the RoboArm picture is that the
builder placed a handle on one side of the motor down on the
base of the robot.  I wonder if the intention is to use the
rotation sensor in the motor to sense the winding of that handle?

From the picture, that is connected as an input, and the video posted
by  Yann shows this rotating under NXT control.

It looks to me like it can be EITHER a rotation sensor or motor, but not
both....

I spotted somewhere a mention of closed-loop controllers, which would mean that
the motor *is* the rotation sensor. I expect the handle was installed to make it
easier to manually adjust and test the mechanism and that the rotation sensing
section is always active to track motor speed. How much resistance the motor has
to turning, and whether it can coast or block like the minimotors, remains to be
seen. If nothing else it could surely resist using power like a common servo.