 Robotics / 25211
RE: new Mindstorms servos?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 14 Jan 2006 04:49:45 GMT

Danny Staple wrote:

Exactly. Once you have added gearing, and the rotation sensor in to a
micromotor assembly, then this is probably a space saving. And it is most
definately a saving in complexity.

Hmm... If the rotation sensor is directly connected to the motor, then it
can't detect rotation when the motor slips (e.g., you've got a clutch gear
or belts to limit torque). Do you suppose there's a clutch gear inside the
unit between the motor and the rotation sensor?

--Russ

-----Original Message-----
From: news-gateway@lugnet.com [mailto:news-gateway@lugnet.com] On Behalf Of
danny staple
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 7:58 AM
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com
Subject: Re: new Mindstorms servos?

On 07/01/06, steve <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote:
It's almost as if it were DESIGNED for making the robots that are in
all the photos.  It looks quite inconvenient for building wheeled or
tracked vehicles because of how the drive shaft exits at right angles
to the motor's largest dimension.

Hi Steve,
I disagree here. Going at right angles, along with the gear reduction makes
it much easier for me to build tracked or wheeled vehicals. Even more so
when the odometry is taken care of.

For a kick-off, if it's going to drive the arm of that "RoboArm"
without any additional gearing, I imagine it's going to be slow but to
pack a lot of torque.  That would be pretty typical of a 'servo' motor.

That is excellent - additional torque on high efficiency gears are
definately welcome.

The 'RoboArm' picture makes it look like the motor is around 6x6x10
studs long...that's *HUGE* compared to the 4x4x4 stud RCX motors we
have now.  But in applications where you'd need to gear-down an RCX
motor and add a rotation sensor, the new motor seems like it would be
a good deal.

Exactly. Once you have added gearing, and the rotation sensor in to a
micromotor assembly, then this is probably a space saving. And it is most
definately a saving in complexity. However - they may not work well or be so
appropriate for more interesting gearing systems - things like an
adder-subtractor drive - and if the odometry can only come from the motors,
then that would definately be awkward. However, in the specific case of said
adder-subtractor drive, it would no longer make sense for a buggy when the
odometry sense is already there.

Danny
--
Danny Staple MBCS