 Robotics / 22080
Re: External power supply ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 17:55:19 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Philippe Hurbain wrote:
Maximum RCX power consumption is 1500 mA (there is a fuse inside rated 1.5A).
Anything rated at least 1A should be OK.

I ran by Radio Shak today and they had one 3-12v rated at 1A I think.  It was
$37!

I think you could find something cheaper than that (with a fixed-voltage
output?)

I have considered that too.  But uncovered another potential complication.  In
researching around somewhere... I think at lego.com actually it said that RCX
1.0 does not support variables?!  Is that possible?  My program is not
complicated but does use a variable.  I might be able to restructure, but it
hurts my head.

The RIS 1.0 didn't support variables, but 1.0 bricks can use latest firmware so
there is NO problem here !

Another consideration:  Please forgive me for not knowing squat about
electronics... or is that "I *know* squat?"
I was reading up on LEDs and so forth and saw something using a transistor.
Wouldn't it be feasible to run power say from a train controller through a
transistor, and use the RCX to turn that flow on/off?  The train controller
provides the juice for motors, lights whatver (or rather it's wall awart does)
and the RCX just intervenes.  Seems like that would draw a lot less power from
the RCX.  I figured this was possible and maybe not hard but did not know what
the component was called that would be used.

As Chris mentionned elswhere in this thread, a train controller is NOT a good
idea to power a RCX since it's just too easy to reverse polarity!

Right.  But that's not what I was asking or suggesting.  The idea was...elave
the RCX2.0 as is on batteries.  Run some other devices off of whatever power
source, but control that power source via program logic from the RCX.  The RCX
could run relays or whatever the devices would be called.  It seems like this
should be simple..?  But I know next to nothing of electronics.

In surfing the web... seems like a transistor.  It has three 'legs' right?
power flows in one side and out the other and is controlled by power put in on
the middle leg?

Wouldn't this be easy to construct?

Ken