 Robotics / 22018
Re: External power supply ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 12 Jan 2004 14:37:56 GMT

Hi Ken,

- Your regulated power supply was able to put out 9v.. at what m/A is
recommended for the RCX 2.0?

Maximum RCX power consumption is 1500 mA (there is a fuse inside rated 1.5A).
Anything rated at least 1A should be OK.

- I see "regulated" wall-warts listed at radio shack.  Would one of these
suffice?

They should, if they are really regulated (some cheap warts advertised as
regulated are not so good...). A LEGO 9V train adaptor could be used too.

- In another lugnet posting on this topic, a fellow used a voltage regulator
7809 or 7805.  Is this necessary only if using an unregulated dc supply?

If your wart has good regulation, they are not needed.

CAUTION - Don't forget to take care of polarity too !!!

- I would still have the issue of having to program once powered by the adapter.
Is there some way to have batteries in it and have it switch.  I want to run
some atuomation at a train show and don' have a working laptop.

That's the problem - automatic switching is not so easy to do if you don't want
to do some electronics. Perhaps the simplest solution would be to use a RCX
first version with power input :-/

Cheers,
Philo