 Robotics / 22015
Re: External power supply ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 12 Jan 2004 06:06:57 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Philippe Hurbain wrote:
Hello Ilja,

Is there anyone here that has some info on how i can get my rcx version
2.0 to work with an external power supply?

Here is the method that I used in my motors tests
(http://www.philohome.com/motors/motorcomp.htm), that require no modification to
RCX: use two fake batteries assembled from the sawed ends of old alkaline
batteries, maintained at the right spacing with rods of hot melting glue.

See http://www.philohome.com/motors/fake-batt1.jpg and
http://www.philohome.com/motors/fake-batt.jpg.

These fake batteries are connected to a regulated 9V power supply (red wire
connected to +)

And of course...
Caution: I shall not be held responsible if you burn your RCX with incorrect
voltage or bad polarity
Caution2: batteries contain hazardous chemicals that can be dangerous for your
health. Open them at your own risk and only if you know what you are doing!!!

Philo

Philo,

I want to attempt the conversion to an external power source.  I have looked at
your page but I have a few questions.  Please forgive me that I know next to
nothing about electric power and electronics -- or so it seems.

- Your regulated power supply was able to put out 9v.. at what m/A is
recommended for the RCX 2.0?

- I see "regulated" wall-warts listed at radio shack.  Would one of these
suffice?

- In another lugnet posting on this topic, a fellow used a voltage regulator
7809 or 7805.  Is this necessary only if using an unregulated dc supply?

- I would still have the issue of having to program once powered by the adapter.
Is there some way to have batteries in it and have it switch.  I want to run
some atuomation at a train show and don' have a working laptop.

Thanks

ken