 Robotics / 22083
Re: External power supply ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 21:47:51 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Ken Koleda wrote:
Right.  But that's not what I was asking or suggesting.  The idea was...elave
the RCX2.0 as is on batteries.  Run some other devices off of whatever power
source, but control that power source via program logic from the RCX.  The
RCX could run relays or whatever the devices would be called.  It seems like
this should be simple..?  But I know next to nothing of electronics.

It sounds like what you're wanting to do is to effectively turn a
battery-powered RCX into the rough equivalent of a multi-function
smart-solenoid.  All final output devices (lights, motors, etc.) are powered by
switched 9v AC supplies, and the battery-powered RCX just controls the switches.

In surfing the web... seems like a transistor.  It has three 'legs' right?
power flows in one side and out the other and is controlled by power put in > on the middle leg?

Yeah, that's a transistor, but from what I can tell you'd need to be able to
switch between negative and positive charges on the third leg to affect the flow
between the other two.  Can the RCX do that?

Wouldn't this be easy to construct?

Without ripping apart other electronic bricks to cannibalize, you're pretty much
stuck working with store-bought transistors.  Then it's a question of whether
the RCX can send a negative current down one wire, and whether a transistor has
a default "at-rest" state, or if it always stays permanently switched until it
receives the opposite charge.

I'm not an electronics expert either, and I have no RCX experience at all, but I
do know someone who is an electronics expert.  It won't help you out for GATS
this weekend, but I might be able to do some go-between work to figure out what
you'd need to do to make this work for future shows.