 Robotics / 22020
Re: External power supply ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 12 Jan 2004 14:54:46 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Philippe Hurbain wrote:
- I see "regulated" wall-warts listed at radio shack.  Would one of these
suffice?

They should, if they are really regulated (some cheap warts advertised as
regulated are not so good...). A LEGO 9V train adaptor could be used too.

CAUTION!!!  The wall-wart that comes with the train adaptor puts out an AC
voltage that will likely damage your RCX if used this way!!!  I have read
reports of people burning out their RCXes by connecting the wall-wart to the
battery contacts inside the RCX 2.0, as the RCX without the power jack does not
have any power rectification circuitry inside.

You *might* be able to use the output from the train speed controller, which is
DC, but this could easily backfire if you accidentally hook it up with reverse
polarity or turn the speed control knob in the wrong direction.

- I would still have the issue of having to program once powered by the adapter.
Is there some way to have batteries in it and have it switch.  I want to run
some atuomation at a train show and don' have a working laptop.

That's the problem - automatic switching is not so easy to do if you don't want
to do some electronics. Perhaps the simplest solution would be to use a RCX
first version with power input :-/

You could use both batteries and a DC adaptor, but not at the same time.  You
need to have power leads that allow you to connect your adaptor to the end
battery terminals inside the RCX.  Just be sure to remove at least one of the
batteries from the RCX as soon as you connect the external power supply or else
you could start a fire.  You can remove a battery just before you connect the
external power supply-- as long as the power is not disconnected for more than a
few seconds, the RCX should retain its memory.

If you are not very comfortable with electronics, your best bet is to track down
a 1.0 RCX with the external power jack, as Philippe suggests.

- Chris.