 Robotics / 22081
Re: RIS 2.0 USB Tower freezing on XP
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 20:36:06 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Michael Lawrence wrote:
Yippee

Windows XP Pro / Mindstorm / USB Tower freezing system problem resolved.

Commenced my frustrating journey on 15th October 2003, resolved 17th January
2004 !

My system specifically - Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.4GHz (Intel D865PERL
Hyperthreading 800Mhz board).

Things that have been attempted to date:
• Updated the BIOS firmware (three different versions)
• Applied every known Win XP Pro patch from Microsoft
• BIOS changes – every combination possible of USB 1.0/1.1 or 2.0 settings.
• Changed interrupt numbers
• Setup second hardware config file (clean on)
• Unplugged all USB devices
• Plugged tower into each USB port.
• Downloaded Intel USB drivers
• Disabled Hyperthreading
• Installed Mindstorm SDK 2.0 then 2.5
• Reinstalled Mindstorm drivers (2.5)
• Reinstalled RIS2.0 with 95 and then again with 98 compatibility modes.
• Set programs on system to run in Win98 compatibility mode

Did all of the above with multiple combinations of each… nothing worked, system
would always freeze when attempting to talk to the USB tower (after about 1
second of green light).

So today I did the drastic, uninstalled it all. Disabled Hyperthreading in the
BIOS and then re-installed Windows XP Pro operating system. Then installed all
the RIS software….. and it no longer freezes – didn’t work though, changed the
RIS to be 256 colours and Win98 compatibility mode and hey presto the thing is
finally working on my newest machine after just over 3 months of pain.

I would concur with the other emails relating to disabling the Hyperthreading
via BIOS and re-installing Windows XP Pro so that it builds a non-hyperthreaded
WinXP Kernal….

I posted solutions/work-arounds on the 17th:
http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=22072

Nothing needs to be uninstalled.

I've never had to choose "compatibility" mode or force 256 colors (even before
the HT issue).

- Rob