 Robotics / 19609
Re: Helicopter was Re: Newbie has an idea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 13:18:22 GMT

Gustav Jansson wrote:

I'm working on a Lugnet page with more information on my helicopter but in
the mean time, here are the photos:

Ah - *many* thanks!

THe thing we couldn't understand was how you'd managed to make the
helicopter fly forwards and backwards.  We'd assumed you had
some amazingly clever cyclic pitch adjustment in the rotor head
(which looks complicated enough to maybe do something like that
in the original photos).   Now I realise that you are simply rotating
the support beam - we'd thought of that as a measure of last resort
but were hoping to find that you'd done something much cleverer.

As you can see, I use a low-torque, hi-rpm motor with a non-lego rotor.  The
rotor, by the way, came from a cheap helicopter pull-toy.

My son has managed to make one (along similar lines to yours) that
uses only Lego parts.  The motor is a standard geared Mindstorms motor
(we don't own one of the older style motors) with a 40t gear on the
motor and an 8t on the rotor shaft.  The blades are the blue
translucent "insect wings" from the RDS set.  We experimented with
two, three and four rotor designs and with different gear ratios -
but the more blades it has, the slower it spins because of the
increased load on the motor.  In the end, it doesn't seem to matter
much - you get the same amount of lift with two faster spinning blades
as with three or four slower blades - so we settled on two to keep
things light and to simplify the rotor head.  The 40:8 gearing is
also optimal.

The extra weight (compared to your non-lego solution) is something we
can deal with using appropriate counter-balance weights - but we are
rather tight on load carrying - if the helicopter is balanced
correctly so it'll take off *and* come back down again, there isn't
enough thrust left to lift much of a load.  We can fix that by making
it 'neutrally' balanced - and throw the rotor into reverse to go down
but that's an ugly solution.

One 'feature' of using the insect wing rotors is that their pitch
angle is adjustable - we've been thinking about whether we could
build a swash-plate and drive the collective pitch of the rotors
instead of (or as well as) the RPM of the motor.  Controlling the
cyclic pitch would also be cool - but I don't see how to do that
easily.

The counter-balance arrangements are similar to yours and the RCX is
driven with a Lego remote instead of a second RCX.

Let me know if you have more questions about how it works, either I will
answer them directly or I will include them in my eventual lugnet page.

What you have there explains a lot.  Thanks!
HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>    WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>
Projects : http://plib.sf.net    http://tuxaqfh.sf.net
            http://tuxkart.sf.net http://prettypoly.sf.net