 Robotics / 19533
Re: Newbie has an idea - Nascar style racing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 19:11:51 GMT

Now that's a well cool idea! We could set up 'formulas' based on the parts
usable by the cars and the programming allowed, something like
Formula 3 - standard RIS kit only, regular/NQC RCX code
Formula 2 - standard RIS kit only, any (BrickOS, QC, LeJOS) code
Formula P - programming challenge - standard car, any code
Formula B - building challenge, standard program, any car
Formula 1 - Anything goes (no homebrew mega-motors though!)

I agree that it would not only be just as exciting as sumo, but it's a
generally better challenge as the constraints are more suited to the
capabilities of the Mindstorms set.

"Jeff Wood" <jeffwood@ptd.net> wrote in message
One idea that I always wanted to persue was autonomus car racing, nascar
style.

I thought of setting up a small oval on a 4x8 sheet of plywood and marking
the entrance to the corners in one shade, inside boundries(3' from the • wall)
in a second shade and the outside boundries in a third.  the rcx could use
dual light sensors to avoid walls know when to turn and AI to determine
cornering speed and acceleration. I figured the best way to classify the
vehicles would be by vehicle footprint and the number of motors ( a stock
class for three motors tied to the rcx, and "unlimited" class for those
using auxlirary power packs)

it would be an excellent balance between programming and mechanical • design.
The AI could try different cornering radious for different laps.  with • three
or more "cars" on the track it could be quite excitingto watch, better • than
sumo or line following.

What do you think?

Jeff Wood

"Eduardo Vazquez Harte" <eduvazhar@terra.es> wrote in message
If everything goes fine I'll be getting a RIS 2.0 it will be
my 1st LEGO MINDSTORMS set. I have an idea but may is not possible to
do specially a newbie like me won't be able to do it but I whould like
to know if is possible to do a remote control plane?

May be no if what about a car?

Does there robots work only if the pc is on or can they work with out
using the pc once they are built?

What baterries I need for this RIS 2.0 set?

Thanks for answers