 Robotics / 19506
Re: Newbie has an idea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 04:07:48 GMT

Eduardo Vazquez Harte wrote:
If everything goes fine I'll be getting a RIS 2.0 it will be
my 1st LEGO MINDSTORMS set. I have an idea but may is not possible to
do specially a newbie like me won't be able to do it but I whould like
to know if is possible to do a remote control plane?

Power-to-weight ratio's are far too poor.

Electric-powered aircraft have to be built with very careful
attention to battery and motor technology with the lightest possible
designs.

Lego is HEAVY - so no aircraft.

May be no if what about a car?

Yes - that's fairly easy.  Get the Lego remote controller and you
can build a remote controlled car very easily.  Depending on your
computer skills, you could probably make a PC-controlled car and
drive it from your PC's mouse or something.

Does there robots work only if the pc is on or can they work with out
using the pc once they are built?

Lego robots (once programmed from the PC) are completely autonomous.
They don't need the PC anytime after you've downloaded the program
from the PC into the RCX computer.

If you *WANT* to have communications with the PC, you can.

What baterries I need for this RIS 2.0 set?

Six AA's in the RCX computer.  The IR Tower that connects to the PC
is powered from the USB port.

If you have the older RIS 1.0 or 1.5 sets, you need a 9 volt battery
in the IR tower because on the older sets they connect into the PC's
serial port..

HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>    WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>
Projects : http://plib.sf.net    http://tuxaqfh.sf.net
            http://tuxkart.sf.net http://prettypoly.sf.net