 Pirates / 4151
Re: (MOC) 36-gun Frigate RTS LEGOMALEE
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 23:01:03 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Kurt Baty wrote:
   In lugnet.pirates, Stephen Rowe wrote:
   In lugnet.pirates, Kurt Baty wrote:
   36-gun Frigate RTS LEGOMALEE

thank you for the compliments! sorry it took a day or two for me to get back to you, the semester just started up again, so im back to having little time.

   but it doesn’t look it though, does it?

it really doesnt, you did a good job of widening it so that it looks in proportion, rather than the dreaded “canoe” shape.

   i must echo everyone else in saying you did a great job widening the hull,

thanks, I saw (studied) the ships out there to see how people were doing it. It was your ship HM 20 gun Frigate Minotaur

(If other readers wonder)

and your efforts to have sheer, that set me off on the quest for large wide hull with sheer.

i actually didnt widen the hull, i built it on 4 hull sections, so didnt think i needed to. but, in the future, i may try my hand at widening, so i can build something larger. :-) your ship will definitely be a reference point for me.

   the sails you made are excellent, very nice.

thanks but they are just paper, I may get some cloth ...

hey, they look way better than mine, i have the hardest time making cloth sails look decent.

in general, the mainmast is half as far from the mizzen as it is from the fore, but you can get away without spacing the main and fore quite so far apart.

just to add here, if you look at my more recent ships, i do not follow this rule as closely as i should, i find i think it looks odd, so i space them a bit farther apart. i still make the main closer to the mizzen, but not so close.

   I could bring the fore mast forward 6 studs! It would not be easy, it would be right where the second wedge sloped brick is (from the bow). check that first pic again.

well, what do you think Mr Dulin?

I need to get a brickshelf account, and post pictures of the fleet!

we’d love to see them!

best, steve