 Parts / 157
Re: If you could wish for any single Lego element, what would it be?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts
Date:
Fri, 22 Apr 2005 14:04:00 GMT

In lugnet.parts, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
   Nice diagrams Jason (and fellow Michiganian)!

Thanks! Yeap, there are a lot of us Michiganians.

   I mentioned a 1x6x2 Gothic arch, but I guess it would be too narrow in the middle, a 1x6x3 arch makes much more sense. Maybe even a 1x5x5 half Gothic arch would be nice.

After my post yesterday I got to thinking that I’d left the gothic arch system incomplete. So below I’ll give you a 1x8x4 & a 1x5x5 half arch. The regular half arch, has that 1x2 plate drop, which is quite helpful. I did not try include that because I didn’t want to lose the peak of the arch.

The big problem I see with all these gothic arches, is that they all have a point at the weakest section of the part. It’s going to be a major stress point and could result in breakage. Maybe the thing to do is not to make these in normal arch heights, but like 1 plate higher. The added thickness could add strength, but it could make building with them odd.

   One other thing about arches.... I wish there were a 1x3x1 arch, but not the variety that we know about. I would like it to be 3/4 of a 1x4x1 arch. It would only be attachable to a brick on one side. That way you could build arches/windows closer together (with only a 1 stud wide partition). Currently the only way to do that is to stagger them (at different levels), but that places the arches at different levels.

That would be a cool piece. I’ve wanted it before and I know others have as well. Here is a quick stab at it:

But the problem there, is the sharp ends of the arch. No good. That part would not mold well. However, if we cut those curved ends short, say the thickness of a plate, and add an end wall, we could get close to a part that might work.

And here is what a few of those in a row might look like. Excuse the tiny thumbnail.

Jason Spears | House of Bricks | BrickCentral | MichLUG | CLB