 General / 50662
Re: If you could wish for any single Lego element, what would it be?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 26 Apr 2005 02:58:43 GMT

In lugnet.general, Allan Bedford wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
   Things are a little slow (besides the survey’s), so I thought I would start a new thread.

OK, say TLG came up to you and said that they would make one single mold of any part that you wanted. But only one part, and only in one color. And it would be sold to the public as well. What would that part be?

   Wow, it is nice to see that there are others out there that have really interesting ideas. I like them all, except for Allan Bedford (just kidding Allan, it just seems such a waste of a wish,

I guess I wouldn’t see it as a waste of a wish if it came true. :)

I would prefer new parts like a 3x3 (or a 1x5) not because they are particularly innovative, but rather because they would nicely blend in with the traditional ‘standard’ parts. While there’s nothing wrong with some of the more elaborate parts suggested in this thread (some are wonderful ideas... especially the gothic arches) there’s part of me that just loves ‘classic’ style bricks and plates.

   a 3x3 brick could be made with a 2x3 and a 1x3 with glue, and you could save a wish! :-)

Glue? LEGO? Does not compute. Sorry. ;)

   20) Letter and Number bricks (like the old #234 and #237 from the 1960’s) that are 1x1 white bricks with a single upper case letter on one side of each 1x1.

21) 2x2 white tiles that have letters of the alphabet in large letters. These would make for great theatre marquees, or business signs.

I would LOVE to see numbered/lettered tiles and bricks readily available, for exactly the reasons you suggest. I think it would allow some folks to finish models built entirely of LEGO pieces, without having to resort to homemade stickers. Though with the type of stickers you can make on a computer at home these days, those aren’t all that bad sometimes. :)

Best regards,
Allan B.
The LEGO Builder’s Guide

Since you mentioned non-Lego stickers, I too have been guilty of that one. But not in the way one would think. I have a bunch of leftover vide tape label strips. I cut them into small pieces, and use them to cover over the “missing notch of plastic” on buildings that use macaroni bricks, and those 4x4 quarter circle bricks. Of course, this only works for white bricks. I found a bunch of used Lego sticker strips (what the stickers were attached to). I don’t know why I kept them, but I plan on using them in this same way (and thusly making a “Lego only” building). Some have red, blue and yellow areas that perfectly match those Lego colors.

Gary Istok