 Organizations / United States / TEXLUG / 367
Re: Hotel Information Needed Now for TEXLUG Event
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.texlug
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 23:37:28 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.texlug, Thomas Avery writes:
In lugnet.org.us.texlug, William P. (Pat) Hough writes:
You Houston folks please pay heed:
yada...yada...yada...

:-)

I hate feeling of helplessness as we wait for Chris to get back to us. So,
perhaps this helps, or perhaps not, but Chris did say this in the beginning:

" It is about 5 miles from NASA and the Visitor's Center.  5 miles away from
the Kemah Boardwalk.  20+ minutes to downtown Houston.  30 minutes from
Galveston and the Moody Gardens.  Several nice and standard Hotels in the area"

Check this out:
http://www.texlug.org/map.gif

Looks like Nasa (they gray area on the map) and Kemah (the dot marked
"Kemah") are about 5 miles apart. The 77058 zip code (Nasa area) is roughly
31.5 miles from Galveston. Therefore, my amazing powers of deduction (total
sarcasm) tell me that the Meeting Place is somewhere slightly south of the bay.

Anyways, I'd guess that a hotel close to the Space Center would probably do
you good.

1601 NASA Road 1, Houston, TX 77058
http://www.spacecenter.org/

My apologies, again. I'm afraid that's all the information I can squeeze out
of the situation.

-TJ (who's weekend starts NOW!)

I know nothing of where the meeting is, but I can add my two cents.

Where Space Center Blvd. and Nasa Road 1 (also known as 528) intersect is the
Hilton now made famous by a certain woman, certain cheating man, and a certain
Mercedes.

Further west on Nasa Road 1 is a Holiday Inn (I think it's a Holiday Inn) as
well as an extended stay place right across the street from Space Center
Houston.

Futher east on Nasa Road 1, very close to my subdivision (El Lago) is a Holiday
Inn Express.

I'm sure there are plenty of boarding (albeit expensive) near Landry-Land (the
Kemah Boardwalk).

There is a Motel 6 and a Ho-Jo's Jr. in Webster.

There is a La Quinta Inn in La Porte (off 146, just north off the map)

There is also an extended stay place near Bay Area Blvd and Space Center Blvd.

All of these places are less than 20 minutes from me.  I'm sure there are more
but that's all I can think of.
If the meeting is held on a weekend that I am available (I won't be available
on March 9th) I'd be happy to show people around the area.

To tell the truth I'm rather anxious to introduce my fellow TEXLUGgers to a
local burger joint called Tookies.  Tookies arguably makes the best hamburgers
and onion rings in the country.  And their prices aren't all that bad either.
I'd be more than happy to lead you all to it (or go there by myself if need
be ;).

--Anthony