Re: T3 Board colors & rules
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.laflrc
Date:
Tue, 22 Nov 2005 14:32:50 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.laflrc, Brian Davis wrote:

   Someday I'll have to learn LDraw (or more likely LDD at this point). Very
nice work John.

LDraw is actually much easier to start using than I thought.  The interface is a
little cumbersome, but nice.  The lego pieces practically snap into place (but
not the technic pins & stuff, they're trickier).  I have only scraped the
surface of LDraw to this point, I know it can do a lot more.

It looks like it's one brick and one plate high?

Yes.

   I wish it was symmetric, but that can't work unless we make all the cells 6
wide. One point - we need to define what zones are "off limits". Each robot has
control of, say, their side and the edge to their left?

I agree, it would have been nice to get the board symmetric, but I think this is
the best design given the constraints of the 32 x 32 baseplate.  4x4 is really
tough to drop a 4x4 cube into and 6x6 is too big.

I was thinking of their side and to the right would be the zones the robot has
permanent control of, but if we want to do their side and to the left, that's
cool.  I don't care.  Once we decide I'll take the rendering of the board into
photoshop and color the zones so everybody understands.  The other thing we need
to define is the signaling between robots when they complete a turn.  I was
thinking we'd probably use the same sort of touch sensor setup as rtlToronto did
with their C$ competition. Each robot has a touch sensor that is hooked up to
their competition's RCX.  The touch sensor is pressed to signal the completion
of their turn.  There are other ways of doing it, but this seems to be about the
simplest and most reliable.  This also makes it an easy conversion from robot
vs. robot competition to robot vs. man.

John