 Off-Topic / Geek / 5158
Re: Peeron Firefox Extension (beta)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 2006 12:56:44 GMT

Dan Boger wrote:
This is my first attempt at writing a firefox extension.

Dan,

FYI, version 0.8 worked fine on the test page using Firefox 1.5 on Linux
(Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.0.7) Gecko/20060802
Mandriva/1.5.0.7-0.1.20060mdk (2006.0) Firefox/1.5.0.7. )

Thanks!

A couple things I noticed:

1) the popup windows seem to be layered according to "normal flow" order. This
means if I open a later window then an earlier window, the latter may appear
partially behind the former. Is there a way to raise the newly opened popup
window to the top?

2) If I click on the counter before it's finished "counting", I'll get Peeron
buttons for the sets already counted. This is fine. But if I then click the
counter after it has counted a few more sets, the originally appearing Peeron
buttons are toggled off, and the newly counted ones are toggled on. Clicking the
counter a third time causes the originally counted ones to toggle on and the
newly counted to toggle off.

I don't think you'd want to reset the toggle state after each button is loaded
(impatient users would get annoyed). But maybe you could have the toggle state
of each new button match the toggle state of the first button instead of
defaulting them to off.

3) (I know, I said "a couple".) It would be nice to have a visual indicator on
the counter showing the current toggle state (I suggest the Peeron kitten if
it's not too difficult). This would be helpful when none of the Peeron buttons
are within the viewport (i.e. visible window). (I can infer from 2) that there
is no page-wide toggle state, but you could have it echo the state of the first
Peeron button).

Great work!
-Brian