 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 17639
Re: Official New Service Announcement From The BrickEngraver--LONG
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 2008 12:01:26 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, David Gregory wrote:
In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Tommy Armstrong wrote:
There are limitations to this method in that it has to be printed onto a white
part. But for example I can print the whole brick red and just have the white
showing through.

Could you print dark colors on fairly light colored bricks?  For example, could
you print black text on a yellow brick?  If the yellow plastic behind the black
letters made the text look dark gray instead of true black, I don't think it
would matter much.  The sharp resolution is what would really count.  Color
photos might even look good on light gray or tan pieces.

David

Hopefully--I actually sent them some yellow parts but did not get chance for
samples. But it was not a deal killer. I would think, especially if printing
with black that that would work. Black always has the highest opacity of any
pigment and if tweaked with some purple also then like a color filter should
increase its hiding capacity. When mixing paint for example if something is too
yellow, a touch of violet will kill the yellow. If you have exactly the violet
that is the anti-yellow hue, it will turn it grey in pigment-and in transparent
gels will actually block it. This principle is used for chemical anyalysis in
color spectrophotometer machines. No reason I can see would not work on top of a
yellow brick. Just need to find anti-yellow. Used to be when shooting bw photos,
if wanted the sky to be darker, you would put an orange filter over lense to be
anti-blue.A red lense to make green darker. A yellow filter to block violet.

Now there is a thought for some of you mindstorms guys--gels of specific
transmittance over the photo sensor--so could absolutely discriminate the
anti-color of the gel color with  simple measurement. When no light transmitted
then you have found the anti-color.  The color sensor might work that way for
all I know. Exactly how those machines in paint stores that match colors work.

Tommy

Or theoretically could "print" a contiuous tone "color gel" that went from dark
to light yellow of the same hue and have it move over lines of various
intensities of violet and might be kewl effect. But that would be like artsy
stuff. lol