 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 17632
Re: Official New Service Announcement From The BrickEngraver--LONG
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 2008 21:27:31 GMT

Tommy,

Out of curiosity, what about printing on clear window panes?  would that work?
I would think that you might be able to print on both sides of a window pane,
giving 2x capacity.  (not to mention all the fun LEGO scenes you could "draw" on
a window pane...town or otherwise!) let your imagination run on that
possibility.

Have you tried using a non-white brick to see what it does?  I know from some of
my limited art education classes, when we had to paint a gallery wall from dark
to light, it was required that you put a sealer on the existing paint, which
prevented the dark color from bleeding through the light color.

Granted, I'm applying paint logic to printing, but it's something to experiment
with.

Scott

I did not have time to actually test clear parts. They said it would not work,
But did say that would create a nice stain glass effect--which makes sense. And
could be actually used for some very nice effects. Clear panels very well might
print with black ink since it has the highest hiding power and I think that
printing with a color that is the exact opposite of the underlying brick color
might work. For example a little violet with the black to make it hide better
over yellow (yellow and violet are opposites). Black and yellow make green, but
with violet in it, it very well might kill the yellow that makes the green and
therefore achieve a true black. That kind of thing.  Same with red over green
and vice versa. I will be fun trying to figure out what it can really do. I
think in the next 3 or 4 years you will see a lot of these things around and
prices will of course drop.

Another thing would be that if the pattern was printed over a brick one could
very well get what is akin in the decorating business as a faux finish. Where
one puts a glaze coat over a base coat with sponges or feathers or cheesecloth,
etc. I used to do that kind of thing for a living a long time ago. The glaze
coat would be analogous to the semi-transparent ink. That kind of thing.

But a stain glass creation with infinite variations in color could make for some
interesting artwork.A new media for artists--not necessarily for LEGO AFOL's.
And the transparency could be turned into a good thing instead of being a
limitation.

Just thinking and waiting for it to arrive.

Tommy
ashamed in NC