 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 17626
Subject:
Official New Service Announcement From The BrickEngraver--LONG
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Sun, 24 Aug 2008 23:48:55 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

As of September 15th The BrickEngraver will offer a service that will further
add to the customization market for AFOL's. From the guy who brought you
engraved bricks for badges and all kinds of things y'all come up with, comes
BRICK PRINTING. I will be launching a website named BrickPrinter.com in future,
but if interested can always get in touch with me through BrickEngraver.com.

If you can photograph it, you can get it printed directly onto a LEGO piece in 4
color 2400 dpi printing. Minifig torsos, bricks, printing across multiple bricks
and tiles, panels, tiles, even theoretically on slightly curved pieces. Logos,
photographs, whatever.

Text easily readable  down to 4 points or even less. Greyscales and tonal
scales. This is brand new technology. (and expensive--for me anyway) but opens
up a whole array of things that can be done. I am sure y'all will come up with
many more ideas than I can. You always do. lol

If going to BrickFair, stop by my table and see a sample.

I have gone to the factory with parts and tested out this new printing
technology and it passed my qc tests--which I try to keep as high as I can. It
also passed my wife's qc which is higher than mine.  After all pleasing LEGO
AFOL's is not an easy task--mighty particular bunch of customers--lol

I think y'all will all be pleased at the quality AND the price. Well there will
probably be some out there that are not pleased, but almost all of you will be.
lol

I am not quitting the engraving business of course as it is still the most
permanent method--and it has a look and feel all its own. And it was afterall my
idea and it has been fun.  But, for those things not applicable for engraving
this is the solution. Instead of applying decals, simply have it printed
directly onto the part,

There are limitations to this method in that it has to be printed onto a white
part. But for exmaple I can print the whole brick red and just have the white
showing through. This technology will enable my idea of supplanting business
cards with BusinessBricks(tm) or BusinessFigs. It can open up to all the great
builders out there with say the opportunity of creating kits for  very localized
markets--such as the local museum gift shop.

The thinness of the printing makes it possible to still have all the building
dimensions of the brick or part essentially unchanged.For example you can stack
them behind one another.

Custom give a ways for events are now much cheaper than custom engraving for
many uses. But of couse engraving is still very kewl and will last forever.

The printed surface, since it is so thin, is actually very durable to rubbing
but of course can be scratched. I am exploring a clear coating for more
protection for those projects that would require more durability. And really
cannot see why it will not work as well as impart UV protection.

Since with printing there really is a bit of economy of scale, I will hopefully
be able to do them at a somewhat reasonable price. With engraving, it involves
not only set up time , machine time, painting time , painting time, cleaning
time, and polishing time there really is not economy of scale except for set up
costs.

With this process when an item comes off the printer you have a finished
product.

Main cost is cost of part, cost of ink, and COST of MACHINE. I of course have to
be able to pay the bank note on it. Big gamble on my part.

Comments welcome.

What do y'all think--will this be a service that yall will be interested in?

Tommy Armstrong
tfa@brickengraver.com
www.brickengraver.com

Re: Official New Service Announcement From The BrickEngraver--LONG