 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 17316
17315  |  17317
Subject:
LEGO CD - Little Hidden Secrets....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 28 Dec 2006 04:10:38 GMT

Hey no problem Josh, I am glad you like the CD so much!

When I first finished it and added all the PDF Bookmarks, I thought that it
didn't seem that big???  But then I realized that with so many huge chapters, it
all adds up!

Did you guys like the way I introduced many of the Systems (Early Classic
Castle, Early Classic Space, Homemaker, Duplo) with the early prototypes, early
sets, and early idea book pictures that predate these LEGO Systems?  I wanted to
give you folks a background into what predated the introduction of each of the
LEGO Systems.  Ditto for how LEGO Gears predated the Technic System.

And then there are some really interesting promotional sets that predated the
Weetabix and Maersk sets of the 1970's.  I wish I had that 1967 British
Kellogg's Town Plan set and the 1970 British Kellogg's Legoland Town set!  They
are huge!!  And the first one even includes a LEGO motor.  No Town Plan set ever
had a LEGO motor before!!

Some of my favorite chapters are the wooden box sets and the Minitalia sets.
The wooden box sets are the least understood of all LEGO sets.  No doubt, most
survive unidentified, since they were separated from their Content List (the
only easy way to identify them) decades ago!

And those Minitalia sets are soooooo cool, aren't they?  They were the
prototypes to modern LEGO windows/doors.  Did you notice that green cardboard or
plastic roof piece (shown in my website LEGO CD Photo Gallery as the green roof
of a red church).  A very unique LEGO element!

And then there are the USA/Canada Samsonite LEGO department store catalog sets.
These sets were very mysterious (not found in any LEGO catalogs) until the
Sears, J.C. Penney, FAO Schwarz and other mail order department store catalogs
started sharing their secrets.  My favorite set of the department store sets is
the #842 Sears Town Plan set.  Only USA set that ever had a Shell Service
Station.  And ironically this set was only sold as mail order, and came in a
brown cardboard box!

And then there's my personal favorites... the Town Plan sets (1960-68).  Those
sets were very expensive back in the 1960's (equivalent of $250.00 today).
__________________________

One day I wish to meet KKK.  I want to ask him if he remembers this about the
Town Plan boards of 1959-early 60's.......

Here's a picture of KKK and an unidentified girl posing for the 1959-60 Town
Plan board in early 1959:

Well within a year KKK and that same girl had to wear the same clothes and pose
themselves in the same position (check the girls hand holding the brick, and
KKK's curl of hair in front) for the 1960-68 Town Plan board:

You can tell that both KKK and the girl are older on the 2nd Town Plan board.
And you can also see the 2nd board has a seam (for folding in half) going thru
the board from the building on the left, diagonally towards the right.  This
board was the regular Town Plan board.  In the earlier picture, there is no seam
going thru the board, since that board was a prototype one piece board.

It's these little things that I discovered that made the LEGO CD a lot of fun
much of the time to work on.

So much to view, so little time! :)

Gary Istok