 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 17313
Re: LEGO CD Mailings....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Wed, 27 Dec 2006 21:06:11 GMT

Thanks Jason and Kevin (and all)!

It's amazing at how complex early LEGO really is.  If you look at how even today
old gray and old brown elements still show up in new sets mixed in with the
old... I call that an anomaly (something that is not what is expected).  With
old LEGO, take that anomaly and multiply it by 100 times, and you kinda
understand how complex it can get.

For you folks who have the CD, just look at the 2x2 and 2x4 bricks section of
the LEGO Bricks chapter.  Just trying to sort thru the different brick types and
when they were produced is difficult.  Even though the first ABS plastic
elements were sold in 1963, the last of the Cellulose Acetate didn't see the
light of day until about 1971 (in the USA).

And why did the rest of the world switch literally overnight from waffle bottom
plates to circle bottom plates in 1962, when waffle bottom plates were found in
USA sets as late as 1971 (sets #157 and #349)?  What makes that even more
surprising is that waffle bottom plates use up 1/3 more plastic than circle
bottom plates.

That can only lead to one conclusion... TLG sold all their unused/slightly used
waffle bottom plate molds to USA/Canada Samsonite in 1963.  This may explain why
Samsonite basic sets have a mix of waffle bottom and circle bottom plates from
1963-71.

If it weren't for the hundreds of early LEGO "anomalies", the LEGO CD would only
be about 1/2 the size that it is!

Gary Istok