 Local / United States / Pennsylvania / * (-20)
Re: Hello! Anyone live near Erie?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.pa
Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 2008 11:32:10 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.pa, Dustin Jones wrote:
Hi!  I've just moved from the Seattle area to Erie - and was starting to unpack
my collection today - when I had the thought I should post on LUGNET and see if
there were was anyone close to Erie that builds or displays at shows.  I noticed
the two Penn clubs look to be on the eastern side of the state - so I wanted to
see if there was anyone in western Penn who was looking to form a club.

Hoping to hear from ya!

Dustin

is there an erie, PA LEGO club??  I have a client looking for one.

www.brickmuseum.net

Dan Brown toymuseum@Hotmail.com

thanks

Dan

Re: Visiting the East Coast
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people, lugnet.loc.us, lugnet.loc.us.pa, lugnet.loc.us.dc, lugnet.loc.us.va, lugnet.loc.us.ma
Date:
Wed, 2 Jan 2008 16:13:33 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Howdy folks,

Here I am again. That pesky old-timer who refuses to go away while refusing to actually do anything lego-related!

No, that’s a lie, I actually built a MOC last year. Never got around to posting about it, ergo, it never existed.

So, what am I doing here again?

Easy answer: coming to the East Coast!

In lugnet.people, Shiri Dori wrote:
   Hi folks!

Well, it has certainly been a while. (Four years, to be precise.)

Yesterday, I landed in Boston for a one-month visit to the East Coast. This (following ten amazing days in Holland) is to celebrate my Masters graduation (with honors, yay me!). Before I dive into the corporate world (and hopefully not belly-flop), I’m taking a well-earned break from everything work-related.

OK, I had a short visit last year in which I got to see Tim (yay Tim, you rock for making it up to Boston!) but different constraints meant I saw zilch else (I was partly working, traveling with BF, etc.).

This time, I’m coming for another visit and a bit less constrained.

My schedule... <drumroll please>
  • Land in NYC Jan 26th, fly to Boston next day.

  • Jan 27th to Feb 3rd - Boston, MA.

  • Feb 4th to 9th - flexible, planned destinations NYC and Philadelphia.

  • D.C. potentially still possible between those dates.

  • Fly back from NYC Feb 9th.
So, if you care and my schedule fits yours, drop me a line. I am still available by email, as below:

   I am available at the coveted firstname.lastname at gmail. <grin>

Glad to be here, -Shiri

...and still glad to be here.

-Shiri

Subject:
Hello! Anyone live near Erie?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.pa
Date:
Sat, 3 Nov 2007 10:04:58 GMT

Hi!  I've just moved from the Seattle area to Erie - and was starting to unpack
my collection today - when I had the thought I should post on LUGNET and see if
there were was anyone close to Erie that builds or displays at shows.  I noticed
the two Penn clubs look to be on the eastern side of the state - so I wanted to
see if there was anyone in western Penn who was looking to form a club.

Hoping to hear from ya!

Dustin

Subject:
PennLUG, DelVaLUG Display for Model Railroading Days
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.us.pa, lugnet.org.us.delvalug, lugnet.org.us.pennlug
Date:
Thu, 18 Oct 2007 18:04:21 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

PennLUG and DelVaLUG attend Model Railroading Days at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania.

This Past weekend (Oct. 13th and 14th) The Pennsylvania LEGO Users Group and The Delaware Valley LEGO Users Group Displayed A LEGO Train layout at The Railroad Museum of Pa’s Model Railroading Days event.

<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=280725 Full Brickshelf gallery.

The event was a great success. Contributing members were myself, Mike Gibney, Micheal Tighe from PennLUG and Tim Caffery and Phillip Thorne from DelVaLUG. We were fortunate enough to be set up across from the museums beautifully restored Virginia & Truckee No. 20 Tahoe. This put us in full view through the windows to every one walking up the main walk to the museum entrance. They’ll need to clean the nose and hand prints from the glass from all the amazed kids.

DelVaLUG attempted to take over Mike Gibney’s farm when they planted their flag (or rather engraved brick) in the door of the barn.

Their clever coup was aided by a few of Phil’s rouge farm animals.

Unfortunately during the event a Fleebnork escaped from its bio stasis container and is probably now chewing on the the electrical components of the museums GG1 No. 4935. For this we may never be invited back.

Here is a shot of my copy of Steve Barile’s 2-6-0 Denver Rio Grande Bumblebee posing on the pilot of the 2-6-0 Tahoe.

Questions and comments are welcome.

Cale

No animals plastic or otherwise were harmed in the making of this display.

Subject:
PennLUG to display at Euro East Train Show, August 11th, 12th
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.us.pennlug, lugnet.loc.us.pa
Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2007 03:02:02 GMT

For the second year in row PennLUG (Pennsylvania LEGO Users Group) will be displaying a LEGO train layout at the Euro East Train Show in Marietta, PA. Euro East is the largest European train show east of the Rockies featuring several operating layouts, vendors and seminars centered around European Trains. While PennLUG’s layout isn’t European themed the organizers love the idea of LEGO trains and have asked us dispaly again this year. If you happen to be in the area August 11th or 12th feel free to stop in.

More Info can be found on Euro East’s web site. http://www.euroeastonline.com/index.html

Pictures from last years layout. http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=200126

Cale

Subject:
DelVaLUG at Wizard World Philadelphia
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.org.us.delvalug, lugnet.loc.us.de, lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.loc.us.pa, lugnet.loc.us.pa.phi
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2007 01:54:00 GMT

DelVaLUG, the Delaware Valley LEGO Users Group, successfully exhibited a group layout at the comics and pop-culture expo Wizard World Philadelphia pop-culture expo on 15-17 June, 2007, at the Pennsylvania Convention Center.

Participating members were Tim Caffrey, Roy Cook, Alice Leber-Cook, and Phillip Thorne, plus new members and first-time exhibitors Arthur Stromberg and Amy.

Set up in a 10x10-foot parcel near the front of the show (amidst the major corporate exhibitors), the layout was 6 Fleske-modules in size, in a “J” shape, and featured one train loop, two trains, seven buildings, numerous vehicles, and a plethora of minifigs; including:
  • The Hall of Justice
  • Four Freedoms Plaza
  • Café Corner
  • A dark variant of Café Corner
  • Interpretations of robot-mode Bumblebee, Megatron, and Optimus Prime
  • Vehicle-mode Bumblebee and Ironhide (from the new movie)
  • The three-segment Fantasticar (from the new movie)
  • Official minifigs from Batman, Harry Potter, and Spider-Man
  • Custom minifigs from the Fantastic Four, Justice League, Spider-Man III, and X-Men
An article about the show, with one photo of the exhibit, appeared in the Monday 18 June 2007 issue of the Philadelphia Inquirer. About 80 people added themselves to the club’s email announcement list (for post-show photos and upcoming-show announcements), including several likely prospects for new members. The exhibit cross-promoted Philcon 2007, which is likely to be our next major activity.

Subject:
DelVaLUG to exhibit at Wizard World Philadelphia
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.org.us.delvalug, lugnet.loc.us.de, lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.loc.us.pa, lugnet.loc.us.pa.phi
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2007 13:16:16 GMT

DelVaLUG, the Delaware Valley LEGO Users Group, will be exhibiting at the Wizard World Philadelphia pop-culture expo on 15-17 June, 2007. The event is held at the Pennsylvania Convention Center.

Featured elements of the display will be custom models tied to three of this summer’s action movies: “Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer,” “Spider-Man 3,” and “The Transformers.”

Behind the scenes: This is an event that DelVaLUG members first proposed before the 2006 show, but we finally approached Wizard Entertainment this April. You have to be diplomatic when cold-calling, and cite the right advantages; but they were very happy to have us. After all, the company isn’t just comic books -- it does publish the magazines ToyFare and ToyWishes, so a toy-based display that can adapt itself to the show’s themes is definitely appropriate.

We’ll be using this event for AFOL promotion and club recruitment; the product literature distributed at BrickFest will be used. Since I’m deeply involved with the Philcon SF convention, I’ll also be promoting that. It’s not a big segue; a matter of “Oh, and we’ll be appearing later this year at Philcon -- different theme, much more convivial, and you get to build with the parts.”

Subject:
LEGO events at Philcon 2006
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.build.microscale, lugnet.castle, lugnet.space, lugnet.org.us.delvalug, lugnet.loc.us.de, lugnet.loc.us.md, lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.loc.us.pa
Date:
Sat, 29 Jul 2006 20:50:04 GMT

Philcon 2006, the 70th edition of the annual Philadelphia Area Conference of Science Fiction and Fantasy, will run this coming November; and for the third year, I’ll be conducting a set of LEGO-themed events. Here are some pics of the 2004 event and 2005.

There will definitely be an Open Build and a MOC display with pre- and at-con-built SF-themed models, and maybe a Space-themed train layout. I might run a couple of QuikWars games, or arrange a screening of SF/F-topic brikfilms. There may be slideshows and building technique workshops.

How can you help?
  • Do you want to come and present on a topic such as Bionicle, Castles, Mecha, Micro, Moonbase or Space?
  • Want to contribute images and anecdots for such a slideshow, run by someone else?
  • Itching to run a game of BrickQuest, BrikWars, or QuikWars?
  • Got a fancy new Mindstorms NXT bot to demo?
  • Have a MOC you can send by mail?
  • Have MOC plans you can send by e-mail, that I’ll recreate locally and display under your name?
  • Got a brikfilm you’d like to screen?
Why should you help?
  • To show off your building prowess to an audience outside AFOLdom: over a thousand people from DE, MD, NJ, NY, PA, and VA.
  • To expand the awareness of advanced LEGO building, and AFOLdom.
  • Because you need another collaborative LEGO fix two-and-a-half months after BrickFest.
If you’re interested, please contact me at kids2006@philcon.org for details and planning. Thank you. (Philcon is a copyright of the Philadelphia Science Fiction Society. Philcon 2006 runs the weekend of 17-19 November 2006 at the Sheraton Center City, located near City Hall. LEGO activities at Philcon are considered a sub-track of the Children’s Program only for organizational purposes. This message has been cross-posted because... well, there are lots of reasons you might logically be interested.)

Subject:
Visiting the East Coast
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people, lugnet.loc.us, lugnet.loc.us.pa, lugnet.loc.us.dc, lugnet.loc.us.va, lugnet.loc.us.ma
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2006 16:52:37 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Hi folks!

Well, it has certainly been a while. (Four years, to be precise.)

Yesterday, I landed in Boston for a one-month visit to the East Coast. This (following ten amazing days in Holland) is to celebrate my Masters graduation (with honors, yay me!). Before I dive into the corporate world (and hopefully not belly-flop), I’m taking a well-earned break from everything work-related.

While home-base is generally Boston, I am not confined to there. I will be visiting other locations in and around the East Coast. Certain locations are Philadelphia (date uncertain) and Virginia + D.C. (25th of July til August 4th). New York (both City and State) are likely but not certain. Other destinations along the coast are optional. I intend to rent a car and I’m good to drive far. I will be flying back from D.C. on August 4th.

Of course, classically, I’m missing the big fests, but hey, what can you do - my best friend is getting married on August 6th. Wouldn’t miss it for the world (even if it were a model built of bricks).

I will be glad to meet anyone who wants to do so, especially in these areas but also other areas along the coast - like I said - are potentially good. If you want me to come see you somewhere else, that I haven’t listed - I’ll be happy to come if you can provide me with lodgings.

As you might expect, I have been quite neglecting Lego, but that is easily remedied in the USA.

I am available at the coveted firstname.lastname at gmail. grin

Glad to be here, -Shiri

Subject:
PennLUG in the paper
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.pa
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2006 12:41:29 GMT

Recently PennLUG was contacted by the York Dispatch newspaper to do an article
on the LUG and on the hobby in general.  We haven't seen the article yet
ourselves but they asked a lot of questions and took a lot of pictures so we
hope it will be an informative one. You can read the article in this weekend
edition of the paper or go online at http://www.yorkweekend.com/  they said the
article should be up  Thursday the 9th,sometime in the afternoon.

For those of you unaware there is a LUG in PA,,nows your chance to learn about
it and possibly join us us.

We meet every third Saturday of the month in an abandoned warehouse at an
undisclosed location, where we discuss  world LUG domination  and other fun
things.

Subject:
LEGO Gortons' Fisherman, coming to a supermarket near you
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.build.sculpture, lugnet.loc.us.ca.la, lugnet.loc.us.nc.cha, lugnet.loc.us.pa, lugnet.loc.us.in.ind, lugnet.loc.us.il.chi, lugnet.loc.us.tx.ant
Date:
Wed, 15 Feb 2006 14:49:12 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hi, everybody!

For the past 3 months, I’ve been working with folks from Gortons Seafood on a sculpture of the Gortons’ Fisherman (as seen in their logo.)

Alone, he’s not such a big model -- but I was asked to build EIGHT of them!

See photos on my MOCpages site

Six of the models will be touring the U.S. over the next month, in conjunction with their new “Build dinner around Gorton’s” campaign. They will be visiting about 100 supermarkets across six metro areas: Los Angeles, Chicago, Indianapolis, San Antonio, Harrisburg, and Charlotte. (There’s a full schedule on my web site.) The remaining two models will go on permanent display in Gorton’s headquarters and their marketing firm’s headquarters.

I hope folks get a chance to get out and see the model sometime over the next few weeks! Unfortunately, I don’t live near any of those cities, so I won’t be able to see any of the finished models “on site”... If anyone happens to snap a photo of it while they’re there, I’d love if you could e-mail me a copy!

Each model is 2 feet tall from the waist to the head, and contains about 6,000 LEGO elements. It’s a straightforward “sculpture”, using almost entirely studs-up construction and just basic LEGO bricks and plates. (I had to giggle, actually, that one of few places that I actually used some SNOT was... on his nose.) :)

As some of you know, I just moved back to New York City, after spending a few years in Texas. What fun it was to move 2000 miles in the middle of a giant commission! I’ve been working out of boxes and in a very temporary makeshift-workshop for the latter half of this project... I’m looking forward to finally being able to set my space back up! :)

Oh, and oddly enough: midway through this project, I was coincidentally commissioned to build Nemo and Marlin from Disney’s “Finding Nemo”. What are the chances I would be asked to build a fish & a fisherman at the same time? :)

I’ll part with a “fun-fact”... If you stacked the LEGO bricks from all 8 Gortons’ Fishermen one on top of another, they’d go higher than the Empire State Building! :)

Sean
- - - - -
Sean Kenney
LEGO Certified Professional
http://www.seankenney.com/lego

Re: ILTCO layout at the NMRA 2006 National Train Show in Philly
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.general, lugnet.announce, lugnet.loc.us.pa, lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Sat, 21 Jan 2006 08:25:48 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hi All,
Below is a list of the clubs that have indicated that they are participating in
the Philly show this summer. I know many of the clubs at last year’s show talked
about doing it again, so if your club is NOT listed below and you plan to be
part of the Philly show then simply send me a confirmation and two rep names.
They will be added to the mailing list for the show coordination and layout
design discussions etc.  We’ll wait a bit longer but we need to start talking
about space allocation and layout design ASAP.

Please note that there are several of you that have requested to be on the email
list, which I have added. If you do NOT show on the list below then I didn’t
realize that your club was opting in. If this is in error then please LMK.

Thanks
SteveB

my email is steveb (at) sstanamera (dot) com

Club List
Jeramy Spurgeon - IndyLUG
Matt Bieda – IndyLUG

Geoff Gray - SHSL (Sand Hills Short Line)

Scott Sanburn - Michiana-LTC

Cale Leiphart - PennLUG
Mike Gibney  - PennLUG

Billy - COLTC
Paul Janssen - COLTC

John Neal - TCLTC

Jim Foulds - DelVaLUG

In lugnet.events, Steven Barile wrote:
There has been many questions sent in so I decided that I would answer them in
this post for all to read. Sorry if this gets to your inbox more than once, once
the mailing lists are in place there will be no more ILTCO NMRA NTS spam! Please
send me your address to be included in either the ILTCO NMRA NTS 2006 info mail
list or as a participating club rep.

Where:
Philadelphia, PA

Venue -
Pennsylvania Convention Center
1101 Arch Street
Philadelphia, Pa 19107
www.paconvention.com

Hotel –
Undetermined (TBD)

When:
Setup – July 5-7
Wednesday, July 5, 12:00noon - 8:00pm
Thursday, July 6, 8:00am - 8:00pm
Friday, July 7, 8:00am -10:00am

Show – July 7-9
Friday, July 7, 10:00am – 6:00pm (10 – 12, NMRA attendees only)
Saturday, July 8, 10:00am – 6:00pm
Sunday, July 9, 10:00am – 5:00pm

Teardown – July 9
Sunday, July 9, 5:00 pm - done

Who:
Our host is Tom Draper of the National Model Railroad Association National Train
Show (NMRA NTS) www.nationaltrainshow.org

Participants:
ILTCO member clubs
All LEGO Train Enthusiasts

Gate:
~20,000 public visitors

Coordination:
Steve Barile will be the primary coordinator for this event. As others emerge as
assistants they will be listed here.
We will mostly follow last year’s process, as it was extremely successful!
Each participating club will appoint two reps for an NMRA NTS mailing list.
Volunteers on that list will jointly design the overall layout once each club
submits their local design.
Various clubs will provide show necessities; skirting, track for yard, etc. more
to come.

Schedule (subject to change):
NOW - Jan 15th – Club participation conformation (75% confidence level) with two
reps named (and signed up for the NMRA NTS rep mailing list, sent requests to me
at SteveB (at) SSTanamera (dot) com)
Feb 8th – Space needs per club (layout shape and adjustments and space
availability may dictate iteration)
Feb 15th – Club conformation (100% confidence level)
March 8th – Overall layout design 1st iteration final design
March 31st – Overall layout design complete
To Be Continued…

Communications:
There will be two mailing lists for this event:
1) A club representative mailing list (new for the 2006 show). It is mandatory
for each participating club to have two reps on this mailing list, both are
assumed to be attending the show and be the club rep and backup rep on site.
This list is where the business of the show coordination will be conducted and
will have a reasonable amount of traffic.
2) An info mailing list for those who just want periodic updates and not all the
gory details. Useful for not reps and individual AFOLs that are not part of a
larger contingent

There will also be an info page on the ILTCO web site linked to from the ILTCO
home page.

Any private correspondence can be sent to me at SteveB (at) SSTanamera (dot)
com.

Layout Basics:
Flowing last year the main goal is quality, NOT quantity! Here are some guide
lines -
All areas will be 100% stud covered.
All structures will be minifig scale (L Gauge)
All areas will be fully detailed with minifigs, vehicles, etc (as scene
requires)
All areas will be modeled after a realistic scene in an appropriate era (when
trains existed)
All areas will consist of at least 90% MOCs.
Each Club will be responsible for a section of the layout. There will be several
regional main lines each spanning multiple clubs’ areas, coordination will occur
after we get the club’s local submissions. It was determined last year that a
giant continuous main line would be problematic as well as none eventful that
same philosophy will be followed this year.

Misc:
Show attire: Day 1 (Friday) is club shirt day. Day 2 (Saturday) is event shirt
day. Day 3 is your favorite LEGO shirt day.

In accordance with the NMRA rule for participating clubs… all staff will dress
in appropriate attire suitable for the general public including kids and
maintain appropriate hygienic practices.

That’s all I can think of for now.

Thanks everyone for participating!
SteveB

In lugnet.events, Steven Barile wrote:
Hi All,

Well it’s that time again. We are delighted to announce that ILTCO has been
invited to display at the National Model Railroad Association (NMRA) annual
National Train Show (NTS) again! This year the NMRA 2006 NTS will be held in
Philadelphia, PA (immediately following the NMRA National Model Railroad
Convention), at the Pennsylvania Convention Center July 7 – 9, 2006. We have
been allocated as much space as we would like at the show; as last year’s layout
completely blew them away!

Last year we had 13 ILTCO-member clubs and visitors from several other clubs;
about 75 AFOLs total. We are looking forward to seeing you all there weather you
are part of a large club contingent or just a LEGO train enthusiast wanting to
have a great time and join in the fun. We plan on plenty of after hour’s
activities (aka parties) too, where the opportunity to hang with the great
builders from all around the country is top priority, this time we even hope to
lure some international folks.

As many of you know the NMRA is the biggest model railroading organization
worldwide, and their annual conventions and train shows draw tons of visitors
from the US, and many from abroad. Last year we had over 20,000 visitors to the
train show and it was clear that the LEGO layout was one of the largest
attractions due to all the hard work and artistry of the AFOLs that
participated. The NMRA NTS is the ultimate platform to show the LEGO train hobby
to fellow train enthusiasts, as well as to the general public.

We will periodically post updates on the coming show and hope you will have a
chance to participate in the display in Philly.  If you and/or your club plan to
participate please send me an email ASAP.  We are gathering info from the clubs
now in terms of number of attendees and space allocation for the layout.

…see you in Philly!

Thanks,
Steve Barile
SteveB (at) sstanamera (dot) com

For more information on the NMRA 2005 National Train Show visit:

www.nationaltrainshow.org

For information on ILTCO:

www.iltco.org

Subject:
Kellogg's sculptures at Williamsport, PA airport (September 2005)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.sculpture, lugnet.loc.us.pa
Date:
Tue, 17 Jan 2006 23:14:14 GMT

(This article also appears as an entry on my blog)

My wife and I visited her family in Williamsport, PA last September. There is a very small airport there which just has one gate, served by US Airways Express turboprop planes. So imagine my surprise when I saw LEGO on display there! They had a glass display case with LEGO sculptures of Kellogg’s Tony the Tiger and Toucan Sam characters, along with some of the Kellogg’s product boxes.

I don’t know why these were there, or if any other airports were included in this program, but I was very impressed with the models and very surprised to see them in such an unexpected location. As far as I know, neither LEGO nor Kellogg’s have any particular connection to Williamsport.

Re: ILTCO layout at the NMRA 2006 National Train Show in Philly
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.general, lugnet.announce, lugnet.loc.us.pa, lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Sat, 31 Dec 2005 05:57:46 GMT

[...]

Subject:
ILTCO layout at the NMRA 2006 National Train Show in Philly
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.general, lugnet.announce, lugnet.loc.us.pa, lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Tue, 27 Dec 2005 07:36:35 GMT
[...]

Subject:
DelVaLUG at Philcon 2005
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.org.us.delvalug, lugnet.loc.us.pa.phi
Date:
Tue, 27 Dec 2005 01:50:57 GMT

PHILCON is a three-day science fiction convention held annually since 1935 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA. As an AFOL and operator of the con’s Children’s Program (since 2003), I initiated a LEGO sub-track in 2004. (Report to LUGNET.) This year it had a slightly different location and a much greater turnout.

Although GardenSLUGger Eric Sophie was unable to return this year (his giant robots are always crowd-pleasers), I instead had the assistance of fellow DelVaLUG member Joe Cook. (The rest of DelVaLUG was exhibiting at a train show the same weekend.)

Being an SF con, the sensible model themes were Space, Space Replica, and Mecha. Since I had to carry everything to the hotel (models, bulk brick, other Kids Prog supplies) the sensible scale was Micro. (Castle would also be compatible, but it’s not one of my own themes.)

In addition to 20 of my own models, and 3 from Joe, I had 14 “virtual” contributions from 3 well-known SF micro-builders -- that is, I recreated their posted designs with my own brick supply, and identified the originators with MOC cards. (To wit: Jason Allemann, Brian Cooper, and Chris Deck of Germany. My plan to build a copy of Chris Doyle’s “Snack Sized Serenity” fell through.)

Over the weekend, some 20 attendees (both youngster and adult) built 28 models (more if you count individual customized minifigs), some of them drawing upon leftover fragments of my own models. There’s more exuberance than skill in many, but that very separation from AFOLdom resulted in some very interesting parts use.

Photos of the display, at-con MOCs, and happy builders are in this Brickshelf gallery. It also includes a spreadsheet (MS Excel and CSV versions) detailing the models.

The Display and Build were located in the front of the large room dedicated to Gaming, just off of and visible from the con’s Registration and Info area, resulting in lots of foot traffic. They ran all-day Saturday and Sunday. On Saturday it was adjacent to a contingent from the FIRST Robotics League. To prevent the display of micro-ships from resembling a tabletop parking lot, I built a “docking spire” of Znap pieces to elevate them.

Activities:
  • Display
  • Open Build
  • “LEGO Gaming 101”
  • “BrickQuest”-derived “Harry Potter”-themed game
  • “LEGO Builder X-Treme” board game
Activities that did not happen:
  • Micro Moonbase Themed Build fell through (I didn’t get to build any explanatory samples)
  • Impressive MOCs slide shows (returning item)
  • Stop-motion film fest (returning item)
  • Large-scale space combat sim (the con’s semi-theme was Mil-SF, thanks to Author GoH David Weber and Artist GoH David Mattingly, his cover artist)

Re: PennLUG open house
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.pa
Date:
Sun, 2 Oct 2005 20:25:25 GMT

PennLUGs open house will be November 19th from 12-4pm.   MOCs, dislpays, video, and door prizes!  See you all there!  respond to my email above for directions and other info if needed

Mike G
PennLUG

Subject:
DelVaLUG Meeting on Sunday Sept 18th
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.pa
Date:
Wed, 14 Sep 2005 00:42:32 GMT

Hey Gang,

The meeting will be held at 1:00 pm in "The Court" section of the King of
Prussia Mall in the seating area across from the Pottery barn located in the end
of the building by Borders and The Cheesecake Factory.

- Jim F.

Subject:
PennLUG open house
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.pa
Date:
Sun, 21 Aug 2005 06:50:37 GMT

PennLUG will be having its first  open house some time in Sept or Oct.  This
will be an opportunity for AFOL's around the area to meet up and help bring out
some of the "sleepers" as I think Jake McKee called them.  This will be more of
a display than a meeting to show potential members what kind of things a LUG
might do and all the fun they have.

Any AFOL's who could offer some assistance pulling this off would be GREATly
appreciated.  Advice/ display material/ MOC's/  anything to make this a sucess
for all of us and help get PennLUG off the ground.

I have some door prizes (lego sets) set aside and other goodies.  I am also
going to have a large container filled with LEGO® .  The old "guess how many are
in there" game.

If the Venue I want is available, I will have access toa large screen TV that
will play video i took at brickfest as well.  I have a few other things planned
as well.

So anyone who wants to get involve is welcome to do so!  I hope to hear from you
all very soon!

Mike Gibney
PennLUG

Subject:
Report from DelVaLUG meeting on May 21st
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.pa
Date:
Mon, 23 May 2005 21:04:07 GMT

Well gang,

   The meeting on May 21st went very well.  Jeff, Tim, and I met up at the Lego
store in Bridgewater, Nj.  We moved on from there to the Lego store in the
Rockaway mall.  Throughout the travels we discussed upcoming events such as
Brickfest and possible trains shows.

A good time was had by all.  It's always fun to explore pick-a-brick in a group
setting!

Look here for future posts of upcoming meetings
- Jim F.

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact