 Events / 1491
1490  |  1492
Subject:
Report on LEGO events at Philcon 2004
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.org.us.delvalug, lugnet.org.us.gardenslug, lugnet.loc.us.pa.phi
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 2004 20:22:11 GMT

The first annual LEGO Sub-Track at the Philcon SF convention this past weekend was a great success. Only two AFOLs contributed, but dozens of attendees participated and at least five specifically requested a return next year.

Events included two exhibits, an open build, two slideshows, two screenings of stop-motion films, and two sessions of QuikWars. Participants were yours truly (DelVaLUG) and Eric Sophie (GardenSLUG). (With exhibit-monitoring assistance by many.) Next year we hope to involve more members of those groups, plus SciBrick.

The larger exhibit was situated amongst the Fan Tables in the Dealers Room, and consisted of two Moonbase modules (Eric’s Mech Bay 7 and my own Garden Dome One), Eric’s Mr.Krinkle and Grunnion, and about 15 of my mini-scale SF replicas (*). The smaller consisted of Eric’s 3-foot red Rizmit plus a smaller blue mech, in the Art Show: against a pillar and visible from the entrance. (Photos to follow.)

(Placement of the exhibits was chosen partially for cross-promotion reasons, to draw attendees into those portions of the con.)

The Saturday Open Build was conducted alongside the larger exhibit, and its half-dozen products were separately displayed on Sunday. Bricks were supplied by Phil. (Who needs Cthulhu? The prospect of packing a useful cross-section of elements into a half-filled station wagon, when they’re sorted into 30 cabinets and boxes, is enough to drive one gibbering mad.)

(More photos to follow: “Matrix”-like combat scene, macabre dinner party, “B5” Shadow battlecrab, etc. --Lots of inquiries as to the source of the black dino-necks used in the latter.)

Friday night I conducted a digital slideshow of impressive starships (Adrian Drake’s Tribunal, Dan Jassim’s carriers, etc.) and a screening of eight SF/F-themed brikfilms. Saturday night was devoted to mechs, including a large section on Eric’s designs; and an encore showing of the brikfilms. Slideshow images were harvested from Brickshelf and MOCPages, and all builders were acknowledged by name; films were harvested through BrickFilms and their authors contacted for permission. Audiences included both adults and children.

(My selection of starship and mech images was somewhat rushed, but I attempted a cross-section of sizes and techniques. For the mini-fest I had ambitious plans, but technical problems reduced its scope; see the BrikFilms Forum later today for a full report on what was shown.)

The QuikWars sessions were run out of the Children’s Room, and involved four to six players. These were very bright kids (ages 7 to 12), which meant they were anticipating and asking questions before I finished explaining the rules. They insisted on creating new ones to account for situations like Steed-to-Steed attacks. (Ie, what’s the Damage rating for a mosasaur’s teeth? Can a land-octopus sneak between the legs of a bronto? What happens if you fall down the shaft of a tower, a shaft that leads to the center of the Earth, home to that squad of Grunts?) Advisory: if you ever GM a group of this age, pre-build the units and fixtures, and permit only minimal customization; otherwise you’ll never start the game itself.

(*) My models included the Daedaleus and Prometheus, EarthForce One, Phoenix, warship from Martian Rainbow, Merelcas and Starplex, Planetary Express Ship, Romulan scout ship, “War of the Worlds” tripod and floater; Bender, Cthulhu, Dib and Zim. Gotta update that Brickshelf folder.