 Events / 1728
Re: ILTCO layout at the NMRA 2006 National Train Show in Philly
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.general, lugnet.announce, lugnet.loc.us.pa, lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Sat, 31 Dec 2005 05:57:46 GMT

There has been many questions sent in so I decided that I would answer them in
this post for all to read. Sorry if this gets to your inbox more than once, once
the mailing lists are in place there will be no more ILTCO NMRA NTS spam! Please
send me your address to be included in either the ILTCO NMRA NTS 2006 info mail
list or as a participating club rep.

Where:
Philadelphia, PA

Venue -
Pennsylvania Convention Center
1101 Arch Street
Philadelphia, Pa 19107
www.paconvention.com

Hotel –
Undetermined (TBD)

When:
Setup – July 5-7
Wednesday, July 5, 12:00noon - 8:00pm
Thursday, July 6, 8:00am - 8:00pm
Friday, July 7, 8:00am -10:00am

Show – July 7-9
Friday, July 7, 10:00am – 6:00pm (10 – 12, NMRA attendees only)
Saturday, July 8, 10:00am – 6:00pm
Sunday, July 9, 10:00am – 5:00pm

Teardown – July 9
Sunday, July 9, 5:00 pm - done

Who:
Our host is Tom Draper of the National Model Railroad Association National Train
Show (NMRA NTS) www.nationaltrainshow.org

Participants:
ILTCO member clubs
All LEGO Train Enthusiasts

Gate:
~20,000 public visitors

Coordination:
Steve Barile will be the primary coordinator for this event. As others emerge as
assistants they will be listed here.
We will mostly follow last year’s process, as it was extremely successful!
Each participating club will appoint two reps for an NMRA NTS mailing list.
Volunteers on that list will jointly design the overall layout once each club
submits their local design.
Various clubs will provide show necessities; skirting, track for yard, etc. more
to come.

Schedule (subject to change):
NOW - Jan 15th – Club participation conformation (75% confidence level) with two
reps named (and signed up for the NMRA NTS rep mailing list, sent requests to me
at SteveB (at) SSTanamera (dot) com)
Feb 8th – Space needs per club (layout shape and adjustments and space
availability may dictate iteration)
Feb 15th – Club conformation (100% confidence level)
March 8th – Overall layout design 1st iteration final design
March 31st – Overall layout design complete
To Be Continued…

Communications:
There will be two mailing lists for this event:
1) A club representative mailing list (new for the 2006 show). It is mandatory
for each participating club to have two reps on this mailing list, both are
assumed to be attending the show and be the club rep and backup rep on site.
This list is where the business of the show coordination will be conducted and
will have a reasonable amount of traffic.
2) An info mailing list for those who just want periodic updates and not all the
gory details. Useful for not reps and individual AFOLs that are not part of a
larger contingent

There will also be an info page on the ILTCO web site linked to from the ILTCO
home page.

Any private correspondence can be sent to me at SteveB (at) SSTanamera (dot)
com.

Layout Basics:
Flowing last year the main goal is quality, NOT quantity! Here are some guide
lines -
All areas will be 100% stud covered.
All structures will be minifig scale (L Gauge)
All areas will be fully detailed with minifigs, vehicles, etc (as scene
requires)
All areas will be modeled after a realistic scene in an appropriate era (when
trains existed)
All areas will consist of at least 90% MOCs.
Each Club will be responsible for a section of the layout. There will be several
regional main lines each spanning multiple clubs’ areas, coordination will occur
after we get the club’s local submissions. It was determined last year that a
giant continuous main line would be problematic as well as none eventful that
same philosophy will be followed this year.

Misc:
Show attire: Day 1 (Friday) is club shirt day. Day 2 (Saturday) is event shirt
day. Day 3 is your favorite LEGO shirt day.

In accordance with the NMRA rule for participating clubs… all staff will dress
in appropriate attire suitable for the general public including kids and
maintain appropriate hygienic practices.

That’s all I can think of for now.

Thanks everyone for participating!
SteveB

In lugnet.events, Steven Barile wrote:
Hi All,

Well it’s that time again. We are delighted to announce that ILTCO has been
invited to display at the National Model Railroad Association (NMRA) annual
National Train Show (NTS) again! This year the NMRA 2006 NTS will be held in
Philadelphia, PA (immediately following the NMRA National Model Railroad
Convention), at the Pennsylvania Convention Center July 7 – 9, 2006. We have
been allocated as much space as we would like at the show; as last year’s layout
completely blew them away!

Last year we had 13 ILTCO-member clubs and visitors from several other clubs;
about 75 AFOLs total. We are looking forward to seeing you all there weather you
are part of a large club contingent or just a LEGO train enthusiast wanting to
have a great time and join in the fun. We plan on plenty of after hour’s
activities (aka parties) too, where the opportunity to hang with the great
builders from all around the country is top priority, this time we even hope to
lure some international folks.

As many of you know the NMRA is the biggest model railroading organization
worldwide, and their annual conventions and train shows draw tons of visitors
from the US, and many from abroad. Last year we had over 20,000 visitors to the
train show and it was clear that the LEGO layout was one of the largest
attractions due to all the hard work and artistry of the AFOLs that
participated. The NMRA NTS is the ultimate platform to show the LEGO train hobby
to fellow train enthusiasts, as well as to the general public.

We will periodically post updates on the coming show and hope you will have a
chance to participate in the display in Philly.  If you and/or your club plan to
participate please send me an email ASAP.  We are gathering info from the clubs
now in terms of number of attendees and space allocation for the layout.

…see you in Philly!

Thanks,
Steve Barile
SteveB (at) sstanamera (dot) com

For more information on the NMRA 2005 National Train Show visit:

www.nationaltrainshow.org

For information on ILTCO:

www.iltco.org