 Local / United States / New York / * (-20)
Re: GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.lucny, lugnet.loc.us.ny.roc, lugnet.loc.us.ny.syr, lugnet.loc.us.ny.uti, lugnet.loc.us.ny.bin
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2012 18:17:31 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.lucny, Ed McGlynn wrote:
In lugnet.org.us.lucny, Wayne Sardullo writes:
I was in the Carosel Mall today and Came across a Small LEGO Store Selling
LEGOS. Apparently they are working together with one of the bookstores. I was
told depending on HOW GOOD things work out and sales they might go for a FULL
FLEDGED STORE!!!! I mentioned LUCNY and told them who I was and mentioned a
LAYOUT. While I expected a little more support Im sure if I talk to the Manager
who wasn't there it would be good....  If we can come up with something I think
we can get more support in the near future!!!

If you get some Time go to the mall and make a Ruckus about the Lego Place. Im
not going to say its any better then Toys R Us but at least we got something to
start with. The two woman there were suprised to know that there was a Lego
Users Group in CNY. This might be a good thing. The thing we have all been
waiting for!

its in the basement floor next to the UP escalators! across from finishline!

ENJOY!!
Wayne

...I'll have to check it out and introduce myself as well, so they know
you're not totally whacked, Wayne!  Grown people playing with LEGO bricks,
indeed - and the buggers have formed a user group?!

That's a pretty good location, I guess.  I've talked to the manager of the
Dawsonville, GA LEGO store there, where they too set up a test run store in
a mall, and have kept it going for a couple of years now.  They had good
visibility in the mall, and they seem to boom around the holidays, of
course.  Nice that we have one locally to support.

Ed

Just to close the loop and dust off an ancient thread...
LUCNY's building the Brand Ribbon and initial retail sets for the launch of the
LEGO Retail store in Eastview Mall, Victor, NY, scheduled for April 6th!

Ed

Subject:
Earth Day @ Liberty State Park
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.events
Date:
Wed, 15 Apr 2009 04:03:30 GMT

Join us this Saturday April 18th, 2009 for the Legomaster Tent display and building area on
Earth Day @ Liberty State Park, Jersey City, New Jersey.

Last year in 2008, we had a great turn out, and this year we are supposed to have a nice day!

Come build the Earth!
Noon til 5pm.

Check out the gallery of photos from last year:

Stop by and say hello!

Eric Sophie
Legomaster
Biomechanical Bricks

Subject:
Engineers Week - Liberty Science Center - 2/16/09 & 2/21/09
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.gardenslug, lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.events
Date:
Fri, 30 Jan 2009 23:51:39 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

PRESS: ENGINEERS WEEK 2009 STATEMENT

NY/NJ LEGO Fans - I was invited to showcase my Mecha designs at this year’s
Annual Engineer’s Week at the Liberty Science Center, Jersey City, New Jersey.

I would like to invite you too!

Easy access from the NJ Turnpike.

The event will feature workshops and demos by Storming Robots as well as a
host of First Lego League Teams like the super awesome Team Landroids!

I will provide hands on buiding activities with tons of LEGO.

Join us February 16th and 21st. 2009 at the Liberty Science Center!

Information Hyperlinks:

Engineers Week Web Site. (National site)
Storming Robots Photo Gallery
Team Landroids Event: 2/16/09
Team Landroids Event: 2/21/09
Team Landroids Event: 2008 E-week
Legomaster Brickshelf Gallery E-Week 2/18/08
Legomaster Brickshelf Gallery E-Week 2/23/08
Liberty Science Center Web Site

Come join us, feel free to bring your LEGO models!

Eric Sophie
Legomaster
Biomechanical Bricks

Subject:
LEGO sculpture atop the Empire State Building
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.build.arch, lugnet.build.microscale, lugnet.town, lugnet.loc.us.ny.ny
Date:
Fri, 23 May 2008 22:56:45 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hi everybody!

I’m very excited to let you know that my latest LEGO sculpture has been installed at the top of The Empire State Building in New York City!

This sculpture of the Empire State Building used about 13,000 LEGO elements and is situated as the centerpiece of the observation deck gift shop at the top of the building. The gift shop is closed for reconstruction until late June, but you’ll be able to see the sculpture for many years after the store reopens.

I put about 20 pictures on MOCpages and on my personal site.

I’m a huge architecture nerd, so this project has been very exciting for me.

I’m also a huge microscale nerd, and the scale they requested was perfect for some classic microscale cars and people. So I went to town building all sorts of fun little details on the street at the base of the building. ... A double-decker NYC tour bus, a pedicab, a glass delivery truck, a Smart Car, an articulated bus, and a 3-wheeled traffic police vehicle. I hope the micro fans out there like some of the cars... they were fun to make. :)

Sean
- - -
http://www.seankenney.com

Re: LUGs in and around the city
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ny.ny
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2007 12:37:44 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ny.ny, Avishai Gebler wrote:
Greetings-

I'm newish to this AFOL business, and have never been part of a LUG. I would
love to meet with the other talented builders I know are in and around the area.

Given the lack of recent posting within this region, I assume there is not much
going on in the community sense around the area at the moment.

Am I wrong in this regard, and if I'm not, can we make it so I'm wrong?

- Avishai

Hi Avishai,

There are a number of AFOL's in and around NYC, but gatherings are few and far
between, unfortunately.  A few of us met a couple of times over the past few
years or so as NYCLUG but it never got off the ground or amounted to more than a
couple of fun meetings.

If you are interested in arranging something send me a private email and maybe
we can get a group together for a meet and greet and see what comes of it.

Best,

Jonathan

Re: LUGs in and around the city
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ny.ny
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2007 02:24:08 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ny.ny, Elroy Davis wrote:
   You might try GardenSLUG in New Jersey. They are probably the closest to you.

NELUG is a fun group, but we’re a bit north of you. :)

-Elroy

I’m actually from the Boston area, but I go to school in New York. Though, I suppose if i’m ever home for an extended period of time I’ll come check y’all out.

-- Avishai

Re: LUGs in and around the city
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ny.ny
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2007 01:52:21 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ny.ny, Avishai Gebler wrote:
   Greetings-

I’m newish to this AFOL business, and have never been part of a LUG. I would love to meet with the other talented builders I know are in and around the area.

Given the lack of recent posting within this region, I assume there is not much going on in the community sense around the area at the moment.

Am I wrong in this regard, and if I’m not, can we make it so I’m wrong?
  1. Avishai

You might try GardenSLUG in New Jersey. They are probably the closest to you.

NELUG is a fun group, but we’re a bit north of you. :)

-Elroy

Subject:
LUGs in and around the city
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ny.ny
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2007 21:36:41 GMT

Greetings-

I'm newish to this AFOL business, and have never been part of a LUG. I would
love to meet with the other talented builders I know are in and around the area.

Given the lack of recent posting within this region, I assume there is not much
going on in the community sense around the area at the moment.

Am I wrong in this regard, and if I'm not, can we make it so I'm wrong?

- Avishai

Re: Looking for Train Contact in New York
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2007 20:07:36 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ny, Ed McGlynn wrote:
Honestly, we get many requests for shows and displays throughout the year, but
our membership just hasn't diversified/grown enough to cover the broad Central
and Western New York area.  We have a core group that can't stretch that thinly
at the moment.  If I can assist NELUG or others with the pursuit of a permanent
layout at the museum, please let me know.

Just thought I'd follow up here.

Ed
LUCNY

Ed,

On a similar note, if you ever get requests for any upstate New York events that
might need manpower, let me know.  Though I'm a NELUGer (NELUGite?), I'm
probably as close to New York as I am to most of the NELUG events (I'm in
southwestern Vermont).  I actually drive about 3 hours to most of our events, so
a 3 to 4 hour drive isn't out of the question for me.

My daughter and I actually visited the LUCNY layout at a show in Syracuse (I
think) a couple of years back. I was busy keeping an eye on her so I didn't get
a chance to introduce myself.

-Elroy

Re: Looking for Train Contact in New York
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2007 18:35:40 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ny, Chris Phillips wrote:
In lugnet.loc.us.ny, Jim Foulds wrote:
Although we aren't located in New York, NELUG has a band of trainheads in
western Massachusetts (and the surrounding colonies) who might be interested in
helping out.  I have posted to the club's newsgroup to see if there is any
interest.

Do you know if they are trying to set up a permanent layout using their own
brick, or would this be a temporary (privately-owned) display?  Any other
details you could provide on what they are trying to accomplish or what
timeframe (start date and duration of display) would be very helpful.

   The layout would only be for a weekend, on March 17-18, 2007, so it woul d
only be a temporary layout using privately own collections.  Based on my contact
with the Toy musem if someone were interested, there are many opportunities with
the museum so there might be a possibility of setting up a permanent display.

   What I'm looking for is someone to take over this project.  I have too much
going on right now, but this seems like a good opportunity to grow into
something more, so I really don't want the community to miss it.

   In regards to the other suggestions, I already tried ILTCO and LUCNY without
success so I posted to lugnet in hopes of getting someone's attention.

Jim,

I posted this to the NELUG list.  The general consensus so far is that this is a
long distance for us.  Our nearest member is over 4 hours from Rochester, and
most of us are more than 6 hours away.  This means that a temporary display
(setup + manning the layout + teardown) would be unrealistic for us, especially
on such a short timeframe.  Some members are interested in supporting a
permanent layout for the museum, since we presumably wouldn't have to be on-site
to babysit the layout.

Feel free to put the museum in touch with us (send them to www.nelug.org, or you
could give them my e-mail address) if you think they might want to pursue this
with us, but I'd hate to "take ownership" of this project from you since we
cannot commit enough resources to do a private layout there in March.

I am x-posting this to rtlToronto, because they are probably the closest LUG to
the Rochester area, and they may be able to help.

This looks like a great opportunity, and it would be a shame to let it get away.

I believe I was in contact with Jim before this event, and LUCNY couldn't get
the manpower to staff it that weekend.  The museum is a great venue, and I live
only a half-hour or so away from it, but most of our members are over 2 hours
away, and weren't available anyway.  I couldn't swing it myself.

Honestly, we get many requests for shows and displays throughout the year, but
our membership just hasn't diversified/grown enough to cover the broad Central
and Western New York area.  We have a core group that can't stretch that thinly
at the moment.  If I can assist NELUG or others with the pursuit of a permanent
layout at the museum, please let me know.

Just thought I'd follow up here.

Ed
LUCNY

Subject:
Need 5 helpers at FAO event next Sunday
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ny.ny, lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.loc.us.ct
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2007 00:42:31 GMT

Hi, everybody...

Sorry for the last-minute message... I’m going to be doing an event at FAO Schwarz with some LEGO Master Builders next weekend, and after the show we’ll need some people to help break down what we create. (See here for an example of the event... Same idea, different model.)

We need a total of 10 people (we have 5 already) to basically sort bricks for about 2-3 hours on Sunday night around 8pm at FAO in Midtown. You’d each be given a $50 S&H gift certificate for your help.

Would any of you be able to help? Or do you know of other local AFOL folks that could also come?

I’m going to need to know pretty soon -- by this Monday! -- or else TLG will have to go another route for some volunteers. Feel free to either post or e-mail back.

Sean

--------------------
Sean Kenney
LEGO Certified Professional
http://www.seankenney.com

Subject:
the Iconic Art Show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.loc.us.ny
Date:
Sun, 11 Feb 2007 05:25:43 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I was asked by Rock Soup to display one of my Quads for the Iconic Art Show held in LITM - curated by John Ruddy.

Stop by LITM on Newark Ave, just off Grove St. and see the Art of Jersey City’s most Iconic Artists.

See the full Gallery - Click the image

Legomaster

Subject:
LEGOMASTER - ROCK SOUP - Tonight 1.27.07
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.gardenslug, lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.loc.us.ny
Date:
Sat, 27 Jan 2007 20:54:51 GMT

Re: Looking for Train Contact in New York
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 2007 15:14:02 GMT

[...]

Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2007 15:19:02 GMT

[...]

Thanks,
   Jim F.

Re: Looking for Train Contact in New York
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2007 19:06:24 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ny, Jim Foulds wrote:
Hey gang,

  I'm looking for a contact in New York, that can get to Rochester.  The
National Toy museum wants to host a Lego Train Display.  Is there anyone that
might be interested in helping out?

Thanks,
   Jim F.

http://www.iltco.org/clubs/?clubdetailid=4

CDC

Re: Looking for Train Contact in New York
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2007 17:43:35 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ny, Jim Foulds wrote:
   Hey gang,

I’m looking for a contact in New York, that can get to Rochester. The National Toy museum wants to host a Lego Train Display. Is there anyone that might be interested in helping out?

A good place to run this through would be ILTCO. I’m sure they’d have somebody who’d be able to point you in the right direction.

Kelly

Re: Looking for Train Contact in New York
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2007 17:31:13 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ny, Jim Foulds wrote:
  I'm looking for a contact in New York, that can get to Rochester.  The
National Toy museum wants to host a Lego Train Display.  Is there anyone that
might be interested in helping out?

Although we aren't located in New York, NELUG has a band of trainheads in
western Massachusetts (and the surrounding colonies) who might be interested in
helping out.  I have posted to the club's newsgroup to see if there is any
interest.

Do you know if they are trying to set up a permanent layout using their own
brick, or would this be a temporary (privately-owned) display?  Any other
details you could provide on what they are trying to accomplish or what
timeframe (start date and duration of display) would be very helpful.

Subject:
Looking for Train Contact in New York
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2007 15:59:19 GMT

Hey gang,

  I'm looking for a contact in New York, that can get to Rochester.  The
National Toy museum wants to host a Lego Train Display.  Is there anyone that
might be interested in helping out?

Thanks,
   Jim F.

Subject:
LEGO events at Philcon 2006
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.build.microscale, lugnet.castle, lugnet.space, lugnet.org.us.delvalug, lugnet.loc.us.de, lugnet.loc.us.md, lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.loc.us.pa
Date:
Sat, 29 Jul 2006 20:50:04 GMT

Philcon 2006, the 70th edition of the annual Philadelphia Area Conference of Science Fiction and Fantasy, will run this coming November; and for the third year, I’ll be conducting a set of LEGO-themed events. Here are some pics of the 2004 event and 2005.

There will definitely be an Open Build and a MOC display with pre- and at-con-built SF-themed models, and maybe a Space-themed train layout. I might run a couple of QuikWars games, or arrange a screening of SF/F-topic brikfilms. There may be slideshows and building technique workshops.

How can you help?
  • Do you want to come and present on a topic such as Bionicle, Castles, Mecha, Micro, Moonbase or Space?
  • Want to contribute images and anecdots for such a slideshow, run by someone else?
  • Itching to run a game of BrickQuest, BrikWars, or QuikWars?
  • Got a fancy new Mindstorms NXT bot to demo?
  • Have a MOC you can send by mail?
  • Have MOC plans you can send by e-mail, that I’ll recreate locally and display under your name?
  • Got a brikfilm you’d like to screen?
Why should you help?
  • To show off your building prowess to an audience outside AFOLdom: over a thousand people from DE, MD, NJ, NY, PA, and VA.
  • To expand the awareness of advanced LEGO building, and AFOLdom.
  • Because you need another collaborative LEGO fix two-and-a-half months after BrickFest.
If you’re interested, please contact me at kids2006@philcon.org for details and planning. Thank you. (Philcon is a copyright of the Philadelphia Science Fiction Society. Philcon 2006 runs the weekend of 17-19 November 2006 at the Sheraton Center City, located near City Hall. LEGO activities at Philcon are considered a sub-track of the Children’s Program only for organizational purposes. This message has been cross-posted because... well, there are lots of reasons you might logically be interested.)

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact