 Local / United Kingdom / 9483
Re: Best Pick a Brick Store?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Tue, 31 Jan 2006 11:20:44 GMT

Hi Chris,

I've only been to three PaBs: Birmingham, Milton Keynes and Legoland (which
wasn't at the best time) so this may not be the best summary but I'll go ahead.
Perhaps other people can cover the stores I've not been too.

What I'm mostly after is:
- slopes (all types)

These are good value from PaB but I've only ever seen red and black.

- wedges

I don't recall seeing or hearing about these in UK PaB

- wings

I think I've seen a limited range

- plates (blue/yellow/white)

I've seen plates (blue, red and black from memory) in Legoland PaB but not the
other stores I've been to.

- bricks (blue/yellow/white)

These will be much more expensive from PaB than from 3033s (one cup of Lego
costs almost as much as a 3033 from Kmart if you can get them for $35, I
actually brought one back from Aus to the UK after I vistied my parents once) or
other buckets/boxes. I would recommend against buying them.

- other greebling style pieces (mostly minifig stuff)

These seem to vary greatly.

Not really after:
- Technic (any)
- Red and Black of most things as I have heaps!

As for sets, if they have items that I cannot get in Oz, then I might consider a
few, but I think my shopping will be mostly PaB.

Exclusive or special sets are mostly S@H stuff and little sets like Santa's and
stuff.

Hmmm, any idea on how frequently stock varies?  Are there PaB stores that are
_not_ as large as others?  For example the Kingston-Upon-Thames store from the
web, looks like it doesn't have as large a range as say the Birmingham store.
Is this the case?

They seem to vary quite frequently. Since I don't live near one I couldn't say
exactly. The Entertainer and Harrods are much smaller and more expensive.
Looking at stock it seems that Brighton is pretty good.

The Legoland store is inside the park but to be honest, you really should go to
the park if you get a chance. You may also want to try the BulkTracker again as
Brickish has been playing up for a while and has just been fixed in the last
hour.

I just don't feel I'm going to have time to enjoy it properly, I've had to
whedle my way to get 1 day plus some lego budget :)  I'll try brickish again
soon.

Tim

Let me try twisting your arm again. I really doubt you'll regret it and it could
be a once in a lifetime experience. The rides are crappier than what you get in
most themeparks so you can ignore them spend most of your time there just
looking at Miniland and the other models and shopping. I should be getting paid
for this advertising ;)

Tim