 Local / United Kingdom / 9477
Subject:
Best Pick a Brick Store?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Tue, 31 Jan 2006 00:04:31 GMT

Hi to the UK!

I am traveling to the UK in September, and would like to include a bit of lego
shopping.  Unfortunatly infomation is a bit light, so I wonder if anyone here
could help with a few queries?

Which of the Pick-A-Brick Lego stores has the largest range of pieces?
How is PaB priced?
Do they do duty-free?

I'm mostly interested in the Pick-A-Brick service, as we poor Australians do not
have this yet.  A good collection of sets would also rate highly.

I'm looking to spend around UK$800+ (Pounds), but unfortunatly I only have about
1 day for shopping, so any help here would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Chris.

Re: Best Pick a Brick Store?
I am traveling to the UK in September, and would like to include a bit of lego
shopping.  Unfortunatly infomation is a bit light, so I wonder if anyone here
could help with a few queries?

Which of the Pick-A-Brick Lego stores has the largest range of pieces?
How is PaB priced?
Do they do duty-free?

I'm mostly interested in the Pick-A-Brick service, as we poor Australians do not
have this yet.  A good collection of sets would also rate highly.

I'm looking to spend around UK$800+ (Pounds), but unfortunatly I only have about
1 day for shopping, so any help here would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Chris.

Hi Chris,

Firstly, which part of the country will you be in? The UK is tiny compared to
Aus but it still makes a difference. One day of shopping is a lot more shopping
if you go to a PaB nearby.

Brickish association has a bulk tracker (although I can't remember the URL...
someone help me please!) which contains lists of most of the parts available in
each store. Remember that Legoland has a PaB too which might be a more fun way
to spend your day.

Pricing last time I went was about 11pounds for a large cup and 25pounds (I
think) per kg in Legoland if they still do that. There is also a small cup but
they're not worth it at all. As for duty free, they may do but I would think it
unlikely. You could probably colect your VAT (GST) back at the airport but i've
never tried that before so don't know how it would work.

Overall the UK prices seem to be similar to Aus prices but with less special
deals and X% off sales in my experience so you're better off buying only what
you can't get back in Aus while you're here.

Hope that helps,

Tim

Re: Best Pick a Brick Store?
[...]

Thanks Tim,
My wife and I are going to Scottland and ending our trip in Edinburgh, after
that I have 1 day of shopping + 1 day to get to the plane.  So we can go to any
store, but not all shops, I guess I'm trying to find out if any particular store
is _THE_ store for PaB, or which store has the largest PaB range.

I assume that each of the PaB stores carry different inventories?

Is the legoland store in Windsor inside legoland, or could the public access it
from outside legoland?  I'd rather spend my time shopping, so if I can get to
Windsor and another store or 2, I'd feel better than looking at the Mocs.  I
know a bit mercenary, but the lego selection here in Oz sucks big time and PaB I
believe will fill out my collection with the things I think i need.

I tried the Brickish Association, it's http://www.brickish.org/bulktracker but
it gives me an error trying to find each stores' inventory.  I've contacted the
webmaster there.

Thanks Again,
Chris.

Re: Best Pick a Brick Store?
[...]

Whoops, I forgot to mention that London is our probable departure point, sorry.

[...]

I'm not aware of any super PaB store. The best Lego store in many ways is Busy
Bee in Manchester (where I live) because it has a good selection of old sets but
it has no PaB.

It might help if you can be more specific about what you're after. Retail sets
are probably pointless to buy here and even S@H exclusives might not be worth
it. PaB selections can vary a lot with time so your best bet would be to check
closer to the time or make a list of parts you want to get and post it here.

The Legoland store is inside the park but to be honest, you really should go to
the park if you get a chance. You may also want to try the BulkTracker again as
Brickish has been playing up for a while and has just been fixed in the last
hour.

Tim

PS. Remember that it might be better value to buy some stuff from BrickLink than
from PaB, especially if it comes from the US where prices are much lower.

Re: Best Pick a Brick Store?
I'm not aware of any super PaB store. The best Lego store in many ways is Busy
Bee in Manchester (where I live) because it has a good selection of old sets but
it has no PaB.

It might help if you can be more specific about what you're after. Retail sets
are probably pointless to buy here and even S@H exclusives might not be worth
it. PaB selections can vary a lot with time so your best bet would be to check
closer to the time or make a list of parts you want to get and post it here.

What I'm mostly after is:
- slopes (all types)
- wedges
- wings
- plates (blue/yellow/white)
- bricks (blue/yellow/white)
- other greebling style pieces (mostly minifig stuff)

Not really after:
- Technic (any)
- Red and Black of most things as I have heaps!

As for sets, if they have items that I cannot get in Oz, then I might consider a
few, but I think my shopping will be mostly PaB.

Hmmm, any idea on how frequently stock varies?  Are there PaB stores that are
_not_ as large as others?  For example the Kingston-Upon-Thames store from the
web, looks like it doesn't have as large a range as say the Birmingham store.
Is this the case?

Ref:
http://www.lego.com/legostores/location.asp?store=Birmingham,%20UK&cCode=2
http://www.lego.com/legostores/location.asp?store=Kingston,%20UK&cCode=2

The Legoland store is inside the park but to be honest, you really should go to
the park if you get a chance. You may also want to try the BulkTracker again as
Brickish has been playing up for a while and has just been fixed in the last
hour.

I just don't feel I'm going to have time to enjoy it properly, I've had to
whedle my way to get 1 day plus some lego budget :)  I'll try brickish again
soon.

Tim

PS. Remember that it might be better value to buy some stuff from BrickLink than
from PaB, especially if it comes from the US where prices are much lower.

Very good point Tim, noted.

Thanks yet again :)
Chris.

Re: Best Pick a Brick Store?