 Local / United Kingdom / 9478
Re: Best Pick a Brick Store?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Tue, 31 Jan 2006 00:19:31 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Chris Orchard wrote:
Hi to the UK!

I am traveling to the UK in September, and would like to include a bit of lego
shopping.  Unfortunatly infomation is a bit light, so I wonder if anyone here
could help with a few queries?

Which of the Pick-A-Brick Lego stores has the largest range of pieces?
How is PaB priced?
Do they do duty-free?

I'm mostly interested in the Pick-A-Brick service, as we poor Australians do not
have this yet.  A good collection of sets would also rate highly.

I'm looking to spend around UK$800+ (Pounds), but unfortunatly I only have about
1 day for shopping, so any help here would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Chris.

Hi Chris,

Firstly, which part of the country will you be in? The UK is tiny compared to
Aus but it still makes a difference. One day of shopping is a lot more shopping
if you go to a PaB nearby.

Brickish association has a bulk tracker (although I can't remember the URL...
someone help me please!) which contains lists of most of the parts available in
each store. Remember that Legoland has a PaB too which might be a more fun way
to spend your day.

Pricing last time I went was about 11pounds for a large cup and 25pounds (I
think) per kg in Legoland if they still do that. There is also a small cup but
they're not worth it at all. As for duty free, they may do but I would think it
unlikely. You could probably colect your VAT (GST) back at the airport but i've
never tried that before so don't know how it would work.

Overall the UK prices seem to be similar to Aus prices but with less special
deals and X% off sales in my experience so you're better off buying only what
you can't get back in Aus while you're here.

Hope that helps,

Tim