 Local / Australia / 2957
Re: Long barrelled, bayonet equipped muskets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.org.au, lugnet.pirates
Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 15:47:17 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Jonathan Wilson writes:
IIRC crossbows were used because they were A LOT more accurate than
longbows.

Dare I say it - this isn't accurate.  :-)

Crossbows are extremely accurate and powerful weapons, but more importantly
they are easier to be accurate with (point it at what you want to hit and
shoot).  Longbows are accurate, too, but a lot trickier to use and require a
great deal of training to develop both the strength and skill to use it.  But
as pointed out elsewhere, the crossbow did not supplant the longbow (it was
the other way around).

Bruce