 Local / Australia / 2934
Re: Long barrelled, bayonet equipped muskets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.org.au, lugnet.pirates
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 2000 12:28:07 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Richard Parsons writes:
Following on from Dave's post on rifle modifications to carry a diver's knife
as a bayonet (which post I can't seem to find, sorry):

It was in an email (that's why it's not here!). Here's the original plan:

I've figured out a way to make a bayonet. (warning: involves mods)
Take a modern rifle, an adventurers camera and a divers knife. You can get the
first two in many adventurers sets, the last is more uncommon.

Chop off the two holed "film spool" from the camera. Discard the "viewfinder"
piece, or save it for your movie studio (Digicams don't have film spools).
Scrape the sight nub off the end of the rifle barrel. Pop the film spool on
the end of the rifle, wide diameter facing out, and put the knife in the other
hole.

A modified cutlass might work better that the knife, but I'm not about to
destroy one of mine to find out. It turns out a bit funny, (sort of like a two-
toned blunderbuss with a steak knife attached), but it does the job. Here's
some "special" Ascii art that describes what it ends up looking like:

          (----+----------/
          (----+---------/       <--knife
-------------------|
             ||--
             || ----

<Richard's excellent version 2.0 snipped>

So to make a squad of six long range bayonet equipped muskets, you'll need six
cameras, twelve muskets, 6 cutlasses, a sharp knife, and a very steady hand.
As a bonus, you'll also end up with 6 heavy blunderbuss pistols.

Looking forward to seeing this fearsome weaponry in action at the next
Brickwars!

--DaveL