 Local / Australia / 2932

Subject:
Long barrelled, bayonet equipped muskets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 2000 04:17:34 GMT

Following on from Dave's post on rifle modifications to carry a diver's knife
as a bayonet (which post I can't seem to find, sorry):

Works a treat.  In fact, I've done some fooling of my own ;-)

Important note to those faint of heart and under the age of consent:
the following presentation includes detailed discussion of persuading pieces
with very sharp knives.  No its not pure, but I don't have a problem with
that.  Knives can hurt you, get a grown up to help you or you will have to go
to hospital to get a big hole in you sewn up.

So, Dave's plan called for cutting the twin film spool off the top of an
adventurers movie camera, trimming the sight of the end of a western rifle,
slipping the film spool onto the rifle barrel, and a diver's knife in the
other hole.  Not bad at all.  But wait....there's more, and yes, you will get
a steak knife - by that I mean a pirate cutlass.

How about this:

Liberate the film spools as above

Take a pirate musket, and cut clean though the barrel just before the loser's
flares out.

Slide the film spool onto the musket, and put a teeny tiny lump of bluetack
down into the hole, onto the recently severed end of the musket.

Push the severed flare bit back onto the musket.  Now it looks like you have a
complete musket, with a clip on it for a bayonet.

Take a pirate cutlass, and cut off the hand shield (someone want to post the
name of that bit?) perpendicular to the blade and straight from front to back.

A little bit of trimming at the very base of the hilt, and you can slide the
cutlass into the other hole in the filmspool for a very sweet bayonet.

For extra barrel length,  take a second musket, and cut its barrel through
about a quarter of the way along the barrel from the trigger.  This gives you
a longer butted blunderbuss on the one hand, and a longer flare with barrel on
the other.

Remove the little flare bit from the filmspool on your modified musket, and
attach instead the longer barrel bit.

Cool!

So to make a squad of six long range bayonet equipped muskets, you'll need six
cameras, twelve muskets, 6 cutlasses, a sharp knife, and a very steady hand.
As a bonus, you'll also end up with 6 heavy blunderbuss pistols.

I'll try to post some pics anon.

Regards

Richard
Still baldly going...

Re: Long barrelled, bayonet equipped muskets