 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4412

Re: Desiring Machine (was Re: You get to choose!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 19:41:52 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Richard Marchetti writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:
Just to repeat some of my statements:
- Legends are legends, because they have been desireable sets: good design +
often rare sets because they have been discontinued since years.
- a re-released legend is no longer a legend, because it is just a mass
product (you have not to desire it any longer - just buy it). If a legend is
re-released it becomes a dead legend in my eyes: might be a cool set, but it
is by far less desireable. (You alway desire most, what is hard to get.)

Spoken like a collector without regard for what others may or may not have in
their collections.  I see this as a kind of greed on your part, pure and
simple.

Just turn the medal and I tell you: it is greed that makes people wanting to
have these legends...
(Stupid argument of mine? Agree - but is yours the better one?)

Others, who for reasons of youth or having made different spending
choices in the past, now have an opportunity to pick up something they have
had to do without in the meanwhile.  And while the Yellow Castle (more
below) is not my first choice as a rerelease given some of the details, many
others may well want to have one and not have to pay $300 or whatever for
what is in the end mostly just a pile of yellow bricks...! You would deny
them this for what reason? Your elite ownership of the previous release?

I do not own one that deserves the name 375. So your argument is
completely hollow.

I have said it before and I will say it again: lego is not a great choice
for collectors for numerous reasons.

Why not? Because you dislike collectors? I tell you: there are not much more
better items to be found than MISB Lego sets. Take a look into ebay and you see
these items are collectors items. But I am not a collector and I do not own any
MISB set. I trow away boxes and I give away these needless instructions
(except from train theme)....
I am building MOC. That is, what I have my bricks for.

I would wish, TLC could bring out more new and good designs like the 10020
Santa Fe or the 3451 Sopwith Camel. And if they had a lack of own ideas they
should bring more MOC-sets like the 3739  Blacksmith Shop. But legends in the
way they are released now are not very helpful for lots of fans.

And consider the cost per set savings if TLC sells older sets it has already
developed many years ago -- they save in many ways, and hopefully pass the
savings on to consumers.  I think that's the whole driving force behind the
Legends line right there...

Agree - but the costs would be the same for a changed design: Lego made new
instructions anyway and the costs are the same if 10001 is grey or dark gray:
they had to take for e.g. the nose piece mould back into production anyway.

If TLC wanted to do us a favour, they would do major changes to the new
legends. For example the 375 castle:
It has been a great set in 1978. I loved that set and will always love it. • But
do I need a "faked" 375 set today? Really not!! A re-release has not the
charme of the original set from 1978. And I do not need yellow bricks for own
designs does anybody else? I cannot imagine.

Well, that one didn't get my highest vote because it will lack the original
knight's headgear -- in my view, this failing makes its rerelease less than
interesting.

Tell me why? The building of the set is the same challenge. Why do you need a
copy of 375 that is as near to the real one as possible?

Given that, the only unique elements that will be offered in the
rerelease will be the yellow steep corner slopes -- which should really be a
parts pack available in most colors.  I think the 1x1 "lantern" elements which
may have been the "squared" type originally, will now just be the basic round
one that have been around for years.  For those reasons, your precious
original set remains undiminished.  Be happy yourself and let others have
their fun.

??

As to the tan and dark grey variant arguments you raise, I have no arguments
with that either -- just a caveat that the same thing could/should be
addressed by a proper handling of brick bulk/accessory packs.

If so - why rerelease 375 if bulk could do the same?

Anyway, I think I voted for the Black Knight set for the black steep corner
slopes.  But I wouldn't care if the rerelease of the Battrax made my 4-5
copies of the original obsolete -- and I am quite sure the elements are such
that they could duplicate this set almost perfectly, I can't think of a
reason that would hex it -- all of the elements have been made until
recently.  So great, I have my 4-5 already -- I should care that others pick
theirs up now?

No idea why you should - I do not care about it either.

Lego is about playing.  There is room in my sandbox for others to have all
of the same stuff I do.  I have no sense of competition about it. Why should
you?

You are argueing against me as a collector: I am not. So none of your agruments
hit me.

If you are interested in my point of view, read this posting of mine, please:
http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=36495

Kind Regards

Ben

Re: Desiring Machine (was Re: You get to choose!)