 LEGO Company / 2820
Re: Color change: **CEO Draft Letter**
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color, lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 2004 23:54:15 GMT

Thanks for the feedback.

I don't think TLC ever made a promise like this.  I remember seeing in some
catalogs from the '80s that TLC promoted the fact the most elements were
interchangeable with one another, and that all the elements work together in a
system of play, but the color of the bricks really doesn't have anything to do
with that.

Good Point. I argued that internally as well, and thought that the promise on
color consistency was a stretch (at best) so it's good to see some opinions that
support that counter-point of view. Please also see my reply to the next person
who responded about the importance of color to Lego (unfortunately for those who
want the colors back, I think Lego doesn't think color is that important)

I think the whole bit about "The Lego Promise" is something that should be left
out.  IMHO, TLC never promised to keep their elements compatible with what they
produced in the past.  The fact that there has been consistency is great, but I
don't think it should be labelled this way.

How many parents buy Lego for this reason?  And of those, how many tell their
children that is a good thing about the toy they are playing with.  At most,
parents may have fond memories of playing with Lego when they were children and
want their childrren to have a similar experience.  But parents realize the
product has changed dramatically.  I have heard parents say innumerable times
that when they were kids, Lego was just rectangular blocks (however untrue that
may be to the more knowledgable Lego fan).

Also good point.

I think this letter misses the point.  There is really only one sentence at the
top that expresses disappointment about the change and it is supported with only
talk of how this is a consistency problem.  It goes way too in depth about a
promise that the writer feels TLC made.  I would emphasize why this change
effects consumers and the product line more directly.  For instance, by writing
about how the new grays make white look.

Just my .02

I appreciate you taking the time for the feedback. Are there any other avenues
of argument that you think are valid/helpful? (e.g. how grays make my whites
look?) I have a few other ones that I considered - I'll list in another post
with pros/cons.

Mark